Hair Color/Hair color change

What is the best way to transition from tinted dark brown hair back to blonde? I have very little new growth and my stylist applied bleach to remove the tint. I'm left with a color that is too orange and not as light as I'd like, and blonde towards the ends. I am going back for a second appointment and would appreciate some advice. Is there anywhere I can look at photos?

Hi Kaye,

Showing you photos is just going to help you choose a shade that you like. But if you want to see photos, just Google what you are looking for. Here's an article I found for you:

First off, removing any dark tints all brings about the "orange" issue. It's quite normal. The first thing we need to assess is the "fabric". Is your hair texture, thin, curly or thick? Are you White, Hispanic, African-American or Asian? The reason I ask is because different hair textures will behave differently.

Here's the way to remove a dark tint: You begin in the back and start lightening the hair from at least an inch or two away from the roots. You bring the hair up as light as possible without causing damage. A knowledgeable hair colorist can tell where the fine line is, and therefore would stop the lightening process. Depending on your hair you might wind up leave with an orange hue.

Several things should be taken into consideration, did we stop at the orange because of fear of breakage or we stopped the process too soon? I am always careful not to destroy the integrity of the hair.

Sometimes the lightening service can be extended over the period of several weeks, as you go to your colorist every two weeks or so to lighten the hair. Its better to do it a little at a time, so that you give you hair a "fighting chance".

Personally, after lightening the hair, I take the time to tone it, and making it as even as possible. And every other time you come in, we make it lighter and lighter.

But Kaye, let me say this, in fairness to your colorist, since I cannot see nor feel your hair, it is not easy to answer this question, nor can I say that he/she is doing it wrong. The fact that you are going back again, is a good thing, this service should be done with care and much attention. I am sure that on your next visit, there will be less of the orange and the blonde will begin to make it's presence.

If you would like, you can send me several pictures of your hair, and I might be able to tell you more.

All the best

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist

Ready to color your hair, and don't have a single clue on how to start? I will try my best to guide you in your new or old hair color venture, whether you are going to a professional or trying to do it yourself. If you are going to see a professional I can help by answering all questions regarding your initial consultation, what to say to your colorist, how to describe what your wishes are and well talk about realistic expectations. Everything starts with a good conversation; learn how to discuss hair color in terms which make sense to a colorist.

I started as a young assistant at Vidal Sassoon in 1982 and got the training that has always sustained me throughout my professional life. I first became involved in hair color in the mid 80s when I realized that my passion for painting was a vehicle understanding hair color. I joined the industry of hair color teaching and began a career as a platform artist in 1991. The next 25 years, took me across the USA and North America doing all hair shows, demonstrations on both hair cutting and hair coloring. I went from regional education, to national, eventually crossing into North America and being promoted as the USA Artistic Director for It&lyhairfashion, N.A. My hair salon is an award-winning destination for hair expertise, and I am proud to say that I have one of the most elite hair expert teams working for me.

Modern Salon Magazine Salon and Day Spa Westchester Magazine

Involved in hair shows and teaching professional hairdressers for over 25 years.

Best Hair Colorist of 2011 awarded by "Westchester Magazine" in New York. Featured in Modern Salon as one of the top national hair colorists.