Hair Color/Making red hair more copper red

Question
hair color
hair color  
My hair is naturally a dark blonde/light brown (was blonde as a child and got darker with age). I'd say it's around a level 7 with some natural red undertones. For the past year I've been coloring it red (at home myself, not at a salon). I've been fairly happy with this, but am wanting to go more copper red(orangish red rather than red red).

I've been using the ion color from Sally's, specifically the 7RR permanent color. What would be the best way to achieve a more orange color (similar to the image I've attached)? I've considered trying to mix the 7RR with an 8RC (although I know color cannot lighted color) and have also considered using a demi over the current red in a golden blonde to add more gold tones to my current hair color. Any suggestions?

Answer
Bethany,

You sound like a true hair colorist and certainly you know what you are doing. You are on the right track. The only thing is...I see where you are going, but I do not know where you are, but since your color language is correct, do what you have in mind, it's not wrong at all!
If you wanted to achieve an even more golden tonality and orange :flavor" to your color, you can do a "fluff" using a an oz. of each of these items, shampoo, bleach, 20v developer and water. For just a few minutes, you would rough up the cuticle and remove some unwanted color and what ever your formula is, it will adhere to the hair even more. And yes, you are correct in using a demi, but only on the mid-shaft to the ends!
The best orange colors live in the 7 and 8th level, so it's just a matter of picking a shade you like. Use a low volume developer, as you must go for more deposit than lift. Perhaps you can spot shade also, if you had someone who can use either foils and you can alternate for a more textured result. Have fun...you are on the right track!

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist