Hair Color/hair dye

Dear Sir Madam

I would liketo know how long hair dyes last for ?
Does the hairdye go off or go rancid after a time .
If so how long afteropeneing a bottle does it go off .

Does organic hair dye lst longer in a pcket , like henna and indigo .
I would liketo dye bits of my hair ,and save some of the
herbal dye for later.

How long would it last for without applying rancid dye .

Thank you,

Hello Wigan,

As a rule, anything that is sealed has a shelf life of up to 5 years. However, Clairol for example, puts some of their products at no more than 3 years. The shelf life for an unopened box of hair dye is a few years from the manufacturing date, but since we do not know that date because it's not on the boxes, it's hard to say when it will no longer work. Storage is also an issue, your color product needs to be in a cool place and away from a heat source, especially near a shower.

Hair dyes do not go rancid, but if left unopened, even if you seal the bottle back up tight, there is an exposure to oxygen and the dye will oxidize. This means it will not work efficiently on your hair. But once you open a a bottle, the color should will be good to use even up to 6 weeks later. This goes for permanent, non-permanent and herbal dyes.

Don't worry, buy your dye and you should get one to 2 applications, I see no reason to use a dye that has been sitting there for months and months, after all, you want your color to look great every time. My advice is to just buy what you need:)

All the Best...good luck!

Nick T  

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist

Ready to color your hair, and don't have a single clue on how to start? I will try my best to guide you in your new or old hair color venture, whether you are going to a professional or trying to do it yourself. If you are going to see a professional I can help by answering all questions regarding your initial consultation, what to say to your colorist, how to describe what your wishes are and well talk about realistic expectations. Everything starts with a good conversation; learn how to discuss hair color in terms which make sense to a colorist.

I started as a young assistant at Vidal Sassoon in 1982 and got the training that has always sustained me throughout my professional life. I first became involved in hair color in the mid 80s when I realized that my passion for painting was a vehicle understanding hair color. I joined the industry of hair color teaching and began a career as a platform artist in 1991. The next 25 years, took me across the USA and North America doing all hair shows, demonstrations on both hair cutting and hair coloring. I went from regional education, to national, eventually crossing into North America and being promoted as the USA Artistic Director for It&lyhairfashion, N.A. My hair salon is an award-winning destination for hair expertise, and I am proud to say that I have one of the most elite hair expert teams working for me.

Modern Salon Magazine Salon and Day Spa Westchester Magazine

Involved in hair shows and teaching professional hairdressers for over 25 years.

Best Hair Colorist of 2011 awarded by "Westchester Magazine" in New York. Featured in Modern Salon as one of the top national hair colorists.