Hair Color/Blonde to Orange, Please Help!

Question
Orange Hair
Orange Hair  
I have naturally thin, dirty blonde hair and I regularly get highlights. 2 weeks ago I went to a new salon. The owners suggested doing a blonde color instead of a highlight - We were aiming for a platinum/ash, instead it came out ORANGE. Also, it has been uncontrollably frizzy ever since, even with the use of a conditioner and a leave in spray.

I called them and they suggested coming back so they could "tone down the warmth and add more blonde". This salon is well known, has great reviews, and the owners seem to know their business. I just don't want them to make it worse! I have maternity pictures in a month and I just want normal, blonde hair. Should I trust them to try and fix it? Can it even be fixed at this point?

Thank you so much for any advice!

Answer
Hi Tanya,

The picture you sent, shows yellow undertones, I do not see the orange you are talking about. However, if this "orange is there as you say. (And I believe you) The only way to go back to a more platinum tonality is by weaving in some highlights. Toning this will only compound the problem, since Orange is not an easy tonality to get rid of without actually using a lightener. However, since your texture is thin, one must be careful not to create more fuzzy hair or worse...breakage!

It's not a catch 22, it can be done. Ask them if they feel comfortable in just adding some highlights to break up the warm tones. Since they can feel and see the color in person, and they are a salon with great accolades, they should be able to help you....it's not impossible, but my only concern is the integrity of the hair, so keep that in mind.

I wish you the best with your baby!

All the best

Nick T

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist