Hair Color/Brown hair color

Im about to get my hair colored by a newly graduated stylist who is my friend.  She will be using Goldwell colorance.  I do have some gray, but also have fine porous dark brown hair. I looked at the swatches in her book which were confusing.  I just want my hair to be the color of Oprah's.  My friend is planning to use 5n/6b or 6n/6b 50/50.  I don't want to see red or black in my hair,  Just a nice warm brown.  She said my gray hair will look like highlights.  I don't want to lose a friend, so I would appreciate some help.  She also mentioned that 10 or 20 volume developer may be needed. I don't  want to use permanent color. What do you think?  Thanks so much for your response and help!

Hi sorry for the delay. I hope I'm catching you on time. First off, COLORANCE is a demi-permanent color and not to be used with any developer except the one that comes with the color. It is a non-ammonia color designed only to cover and not lift hair color. If you are going for a color that is close to your base, that is exactly what it will do. I did some research on Ms. Oprah and she has several shades of color over the years ranging from dark to a much warmer caramel brown, and trust's not Colorance! It is permanent color. If you are looking to lift your own natural tone, Colorance will not do that, especially if you have a dark base. Oprah's color in the picture below, is a nice golden Brown, even in the Caramel family. It does have a bit of warmth to it. Level 6 and level 5 probably the safest way to go. It won't be too dark nor will it be too light and there is no worries about red undertones. Since you are using a demi color, it can be corrected easy, if you do not like it. It is nice of you to give a new stylist an opportunity and a challenge, I hope she rises up to it....have no worries, you will be fine. (Also, please note, that it is very difficult to give a formula to anyone through an e-mail, since I have not seen or felt your hair. Nor do I know your type of hair. So mine is an educated guess)

All the best

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist

Ready to color your hair, and don't have a single clue on how to start? I will try my best to guide you in your new or old hair color venture, whether you are going to a professional or trying to do it yourself. If you are going to see a professional I can help by answering all questions regarding your initial consultation, what to say to your colorist, how to describe what your wishes are and well talk about realistic expectations. Everything starts with a good conversation; learn how to discuss hair color in terms which make sense to a colorist.

I started as a young assistant at Vidal Sassoon in 1982 and got the training that has always sustained me throughout my professional life. I first became involved in hair color in the mid 80s when I realized that my passion for painting was a vehicle understanding hair color. I joined the industry of hair color teaching and began a career as a platform artist in 1991. The next 25 years, took me across the USA and North America doing all hair shows, demonstrations on both hair cutting and hair coloring. I went from regional education, to national, eventually crossing into North America and being promoted as the USA Artistic Director for It&lyhairfashion, N.A. My hair salon is an award-winning destination for hair expertise, and I am proud to say that I have one of the most elite hair expert teams working for me.

Modern Salon Magazine Salon and Day Spa Westchester Magazine

Involved in hair shows and teaching professional hairdressers for over 25 years.

Best Hair Colorist of 2011 awarded by "Westchester Magazine" in New York. Featured in Modern Salon as one of the top national hair colorists.