Hair Color/Dying red hair

I'm a 22 year old female with naturally mid brunette hair with red undertones and no grey. For the last six months I have been regularly getting it salon dyed with a long-lasting semi permanent dye, copper red. Because of the natural colour of my hair it has been coming out a dark auburn, which I like. My hair takes the dye well, is very healthy, and it only fades slightly in the months between getting my hair dyed.

Recently I've been thinking about going lighter and getting a true ginger colour (think Ron Weasley shade!). Do you think my hair would need bleaching before going to the lighter shade, and if so, would the red colour be likely to fade more quickly? What sort of thing should I be asking my colourist, and should I take in pictures of the kind of colour I want?

Thanks for your help,

Hi Tay

Anytime you begin the process of going lighter you are decreasing the melanin in your hair and eventually have an effect on your natural tone. In order to achieve that ginger tone, you must definitely have to lighten the hair, otherwise by using hair dye, you will have a vast difference between the roots and the mid-shaft to the ends.

Your hair colorist will know best by seeing and feeling your hair. You are young and now is the time to have fun, so I wouldn't worry about it. But realize that your touch ups will be sooner than later, as your roots will show in the first couple of weeks.

Questions to ask your stylist is:

"Can you do this color on my hair without lightening it first?"
"What level of developer will you use?" The higher the number the higher the stress on your hair.
"Is this a good idea?"
"Will my hair be able to go to that shade with minimal damage?

In ending, YES, bring as pics so that you can share your vision with your colorist.

I wish you all the best....have a fun coloring day!

Nick T

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist

Ready to color your hair, and don't have a single clue on how to start? I will try my best to guide you in your new or old hair color venture, whether you are going to a professional or trying to do it yourself. If you are going to see a professional I can help by answering all questions regarding your initial consultation, what to say to your colorist, how to describe what your wishes are and well talk about realistic expectations. Everything starts with a good conversation; learn how to discuss hair color in terms which make sense to a colorist.

I started as a young assistant at Vidal Sassoon in 1982 and got the training that has always sustained me throughout my professional life. I first became involved in hair color in the mid 80s when I realized that my passion for painting was a vehicle understanding hair color. I joined the industry of hair color teaching and began a career as a platform artist in 1991. The next 25 years, took me across the USA and North America doing all hair shows, demonstrations on both hair cutting and hair coloring. I went from regional education, to national, eventually crossing into North America and being promoted as the USA Artistic Director for It&lyhairfashion, N.A. My hair salon is an award-winning destination for hair expertise, and I am proud to say that I have one of the most elite hair expert teams working for me.

Modern Salon Magazine Salon and Day Spa Westchester Magazine

Involved in hair shows and teaching professional hairdressers for over 25 years.

Best Hair Colorist of 2011 awarded by "Westchester Magazine" in New York. Featured in Modern Salon as one of the top national hair colorists.