Hair Color/First Time Hair Color Advice?

Hi! I am looking into coloring my hair for the first time, and I really want to do it right! My hair is naturally a dark blonde/light brown (probably closest to a 06G/05G on this scale, wavy, medium thickness, and has only been minimally highlighted once about 6 years ago, so it is all grown out at this point. I have been researching the Redken Shades EQ line and am considering using this to color my hair a dark auburn, red/violet color. Right now, it is looking like the Redken 05vr (Sangria) is very close to the color I am looking to achieve. I guess I am looking for any tips on how to go about doing this the right way, since I have never used even a box dye before! Do you recommend doing it on wet or dry hair? I am planning on purchasing the processing and color bottles, but am not sure if I should also get the Crystal Clear to dilute the color. My hair seems to be of normal porosity, but I sometimes struggle with split ends, which is probably due to my hair being fairly long (lower back length). Websites are telling me that this type of hair color is demi-permanent and should gradually wash out and fade back to my natural color; would you say this is likely true? I definitely do not want to alter or damage my natural color and would like to eventually go back to it as much as possible. I'm mostly worried because I have heard that red can sometimes "stick" to lighter hair, and my hair is lighter at the ends from sun etc. Please let me know if you have any tips at all; I'm nervous and would greatly appreciate it!

I am blown away by your letter. So in depth and precise beyond any request I have ever read. You sound more like a colorist than anyone I have ever engaged on here. For that, you get the grand prize. I would like to speak to you on the phone and help you out beyond anything you could have ever imagined.
My real name is Nick Trombetta, I am the Artistic Director of ItelyHairfashion, USA. It is considered the 5th best color company in the world. I own an exclusive salon in White Plains, New York, called Salon Maffei. Call me during the day at 914-428-3555. And we will go over this topic from A to Z. We are big users of Redken Shades and I know the line very well.

All the best

PS Tell my receptionist that your are from, your name and that I am expecting your call.  

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist

Ready to color your hair, and don't have a single clue on how to start? I will try my best to guide you in your new or old hair color venture, whether you are going to a professional or trying to do it yourself. If you are going to see a professional I can help by answering all questions regarding your initial consultation, what to say to your colorist, how to describe what your wishes are and well talk about realistic expectations. Everything starts with a good conversation; learn how to discuss hair color in terms which make sense to a colorist.

I started as a young assistant at Vidal Sassoon in 1982 and got the training that has always sustained me throughout my professional life. I first became involved in hair color in the mid 80s when I realized that my passion for painting was a vehicle understanding hair color. I joined the industry of hair color teaching and began a career as a platform artist in 1991. The next 25 years, took me across the USA and North America doing all hair shows, demonstrations on both hair cutting and hair coloring. I went from regional education, to national, eventually crossing into North America and being promoted as the USA Artistic Director for It&lyhairfashion, N.A. My hair salon is an award-winning destination for hair expertise, and I am proud to say that I have one of the most elite hair expert teams working for me.

Modern Salon Magazine Salon and Day Spa Westchester Magazine

Involved in hair shows and teaching professional hairdressers for over 25 years.

Best Hair Colorist of 2011 awarded by "Westchester Magazine" in New York. Featured in Modern Salon as one of the top national hair colorists.