Hair Loss/hair and scalp problem

Question
QUESTION: hi, I think my girl 14 years old has stared had little hair loss problem.  In these few week, she had some pimple on her scalp. She had been use head and shoulder shampoo every other day.  When I was checking her scalp, always find those tiny white ball liked white beads on her scalp.  These white tiny ball is hard, sometime when I try to pick up these white ball from her scalp, always has a hair fall out with this white ball attached on the root side.  most of these hair is new growing hair because  they are about 1 inch long or less and very fine.  I am very concern about it.  Can you tell me why she  had loss these new hairs?  Is these hair loss related to the scalp condition?  Is there will be new hair come back again?  What was those white tiny ball on her scalp, Is it mean infections?  The pimple on her scalp not too bad, she did not feel any uncomfortable or itch.  I also find some tiny white head or yellow head on the scalp , it seemed like blocking the hole of the root, but sometime these white head come off too, again with the baby hair attached.  According these scalp and hair condition, do you think she need see doctor, but she did not compliant any irritation.  I also can  tell her hair got less on top of the head and the back of head.  She did not feel she had extra hair fall out daily, but I just can seen more scalp showing at her head.  Do you think because she had been loss a lot of the new hair and never comeback?  Is there necessary do some test or what test she should had?  one more question, what we can do to keep her scalp more healthy to keep those pimple or white head coming back?  can you recommend some shampoo for daily use or some tips you can help to keep any scalp folliculitis away? Hope you can reply me soon.

ANSWER: Please take your daughter to a dermatologist or a pediatrician. From what you have written she may have ringworm of the scalp and that will need an antibiotic which kills fungus. If she has folliculitis due to bacteria then she may well need a different antibiotic to kill bacteria. In the meantime you can shampoo her hair daily with Selsun shampoo to keep it clean but that will no shampoo will get down into the roots to kill the fungus so she will need to get a prescription for the right antibiotic.

QUESTION: It dosen't seen is ringworm, I knew what is ringworm look like.  Is it true that Selsun shampoo will cause hair loss for some people?  Is head and shoulder not strong enough to clean the hair?  beside the infections, what you think there had anything else to cause the new hair fall out?  Is normal to have some new hair fall out for some people?

ANSWER: Ringworm can look many different ways.
http://dermnetnz.org/fungal/tinea-capitis.html
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1091351-overview

Selsun will not cause hair loss. Head and Shoulders is an excellent shampoo but may not be able to kill the fungus or bacteria inside the hair follicles. What you have described is not normal and should be looked at by a doctor.

QUESTION: hi can you recommend some doctor for hair and scalp specialist.  I live in Maryland, around Washington D.C. area.  I have been seen few dermatology, but they all not specialize for hair and scalp problem.  If you can find some doctor near my area , it will be great.  But if you can not find doctor in my area,  maybe you can recommend some doctor from couple hours driving distant.  Hope you can recommend some doctors for me.  I  really do not want spent more time and money on those doctor who can not help. thank you.

Answer
The most well known hair loss expert in your area is Dr Leonard C. Sperling but I am not sure if he is taking private patients. My suggestion to you is to call his office for a referral to someone he recommends near you. He lectures and writes books on the subject.

Leonard C. Sperling, MD, COL, MC, USA
Uniformed Services University
Bethesda, MN

Address: 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814
Phone: (301) 295-9478

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>