Hair Loss/help for seborric dermatitis.

Question
QUESTION: hello doctoc im 17 and im haveing seborric dermatics and its a severe case now and it is gone 5 moths older.i shead hair like worse and cant even tap hair or massage.is their any connection with baldness cause my hair has gone thinner and im very worried. its also seem that im having rash on my scalp now and it itch a lot.plz i need to know that if i shave my head will it be helpfull or not? thnx i wana know that will shaving be positive.?

ANSWER: You should see a dermatologist if you can to make sure you do not have a fungus infection of your scalp. It can look very much the same as just a bad case of seborrheic dermatitis.  You can look at some photos of fungal infection of the scalp at these two sites. http://dermnetnz.org/fungal/tinea-capitis.html
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1091351-overview

If it is just a severe case of seborrheic dermatitis then daily shampoo with one of those containing either ketoconizole or zinc pyrithione or both.
Shaving your head most likely will not help. You may need a prescription lotion with a anti-yeast medication and a cortisone lotion to control this condition.

QUESTION: thanx doctor my dermatologist claims thats im not at the severe case of fungus.is coal tar better for me and will ill have my losen hair back?

Answer
If you have seen a doctor who says this is  not fungus then the next step is to use shampoos which treat seborrheic dermatitis.  The most common are those with ketoconizole, or zinc pyrithione or selenium sulfide. Coal tar shampoos can help control the scaliness and itch but more people get relief using one of the others which kills the yeast that causes seborrheic dermatitis. If this is not a fungus infection then the hair loss you have had is a temporary shedding of hair called a telogen effluvium and most of it will grow back in another four months.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>