Hair Loss/Female Hair Loss - 26 years old

QUESTION: Good Afternoon,

I've been to two dermatologists (who were fairly insensitive) this year who stated I am suffering from temporary hair loss (telogen effluvium) due to going on and off birth control pills twice this year.

It seems as though my shedding has subsided greatly, i see some regrowth, but not as much as i'd like.

Does regrowth after TE come gradual?

Also, it seems like my hardest hit areas are the top/bang area, and sides of my head along the temples, although it's diffuse all over.

I've been extremely depressed, and want to know that there is hope. I am entirely too young to go bald. All my blood and hormone tests were normal.

I'm afraid to use rogaine due to the side effects.

Thank you for your help,

ANSWER: Birth control is a common cause of telogen effluvium and other types of hair loss. I am including a link to an article to help you understand how hormonal birth control methods contribute to hair loss. Understanding the many ways this occurs can help you to inhibit the effects. One of the main reasons that birth control leads to hair loss is due to the nutritional imbalances they create. Increasing certain nutrients that have been compromised may be helpful.
Essential oil scalp treatments are often very effective at stimulating new hair growth. Essential oils increase nourishment and energy directly to the hair follicle and root of hair. Essential oils have many of the same actions as the topical synthetic medications commonly used, but do not come with the adverse side effects. Please read article linked below to learn more about using essential oils as a natural hair loss remedy.
Although telogen effluvium causes diffuse hair loss, it is possible for the shedding to be (or look) a little more pronounced in certain areas. Thinning in the top/bang area is most commonly associated with androgenetic alopecia.
Because your shedding has greatly subsided you may be nearing the end of your telogen effluvium. Seeing new growth is a good sign. More new growth should follow.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
How Birth Control Causes Hair Loss
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies
Understanding Female Hair Loss

QUESTION: Thank you. My family has no history of AGA whatsoever. Most of my family had full thick hair well into their 70s. The shedding is diffuse, I just notice it more on top, and in the bang area.  I'm only 26 isn't it less likely that I have AGA? Or if i do, i would notice miniaturization right? i dont have any of that. I've become very depressed over this and worry daily that my hair will not grow back.

Also all of my hormonal and blood tests came back normal.
Thank you again.

With telogen effluvium the hair is always replaced. The only time the hair volume becomes noticeably sparser is when the condition is chronic. With chronic telogen efflvuium the shedding is prolonged so new growth does not have time to catch up with the rate of loss. If there is a problem such as nutritional deficiency, etc, the new growth may be thin, weak and lifeless.
With telogen efflvuium it is important to determine and address underlying issue(s). It is also important to stimulate follicles in order to help produce new, faster, healthier hair growth while working on correcting or eliminating the actual cause.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Understanding Female Hair Loss  

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.