Hair Loss/Female hair loss/CTE or AGA ?

Question
QUESTION: I am a female, 56 years old. I have a strange hair loss since I was 16. It started suddenly after a slimming cure. Not a lot of hair loss but definitly hair loss. It has never stopped. My hair today looks healthy and shiny but i loose as much hair as i did from the beginning, every day. Not much regrowth. Perhaps I have lost 40-50 % during these 40 years. Itīs a diffuse hair loss but all the time i have lost more hair in the front hair line,temple and in the hair line back in the neck.
I understand now that I have had too low iron level perhaps in a lot of years.  S ferritin was 6 nine years ago. 1― year ago it was 103. I have no periods any more.
I have treated the hair loss with minoxidil which i have very good help of, but I can not continue because of the side effects. It is something with the lymph system. I got swellings in my forehead.
I am really confused. What type of hair loss do You think I have ?Next question is: What can be done now after so many years ? If it is CTE and the doctors can find something to treat of imbalance in my body. Is it too late do You think?
I am from Sweden. I hope you can understand my english. Very grateful to have an answer.

ANSWER: Your hair loss does not sound like CTE or AGA. It sounds like you don't notice too much excessive shedding and that the hair loss is definitely more prominent along the hairline. With chronic telogen effluvium you would notice excessive shedding and the hair loss would be more diffuse. Also you mentioned that there is not much regrowth. With telogen efflvuium the hair is replaced so you would notice regrowth.
With androgenetic alopecia the thinning areas would be on the top of head and crown area. Androgenetic alopecia does not cause hair loss on back of neck as you describe.
Alopecia areata can cause hair loss anywhere on the scalp or body. Although the main form of alopecia areata causes bald patches, there are other forms that can cause other patterns of hair loss. Alopecia areata ophiasis causes hair to fall out at side hairline by temples, behind ears and then extending to nape of neck. The forehead hairline is not affected. With alopecia areata, the follicles can remain empty with no regrowth for long periods of time. Because the follicles are not damaged, regrowth can (and often does) occur.
A condition called frontal fibrosing alopecia causes hair loss at hair line along forehead and sides of head, but not at the nape of neck. This condition can cause permanent hair loss as scarring will occur as condition progresses.
It may be helpful to see a hair loss expert who can examine you scalp with microscopic tools or scalp biopsy to determine the type of hair loss you are experiencing. They will be able to determine if scarring has occured over the follilces or if a form of alopecia areata is present.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/aromatherapy%20for%20hair%20loss.html
Understanding Female Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/overcomefemalehairloss.html
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/Books%20info.html

QUESTION: Thank You for the answer. Yes, i guess i have to search for a hair loss expert who can examine the scalp. This is a mystery. The hair loss started SUDDENLY after a weight loss, it is ALL OVER THE HEAD( but most in the temples, in both sides of the forehead and back of neck ) and it has never stopped.
I see a lot of new hair growing quickly (in a few months) if I use Rogaine, even in the frontal hairline/both sides of the forehead. It is so sad that i can not use it. I have no dandruff or other problems with the scalp. I have had heavy periods from the age of 35 and lost a lot of blood. As I said S ferritin was 6 nine years ago. I donīt know exactly (never tested) but I think I had normal iron level before the heavy periods begun. When my periods stopped a few years ago S ferritin went up to 103 without medicine. I did not think of the importance to check the iron level earlier.
My father is 88 and have a lot of hair. My mother is 85 and have rather thin hair today, but she is on a lot of medication-beta blockers, warfarin etc. She had not thin hair earlier. Her father though was bald.
I started with Hair Laser X5 last week. I have also started with Nisim products and hope it will help me.
Do You have any other thoughts or comments ? Thanks!

Answer
Alopecia areata ophiasis causes hair loss at sides of head and around to the nape of neck. Alopecia areata (and it's various forms) is an autoimmune disorder. With alopecia areata the follicles are not damaged so there is always potential for re-growth. Low ferritin is highly associated with hair loss. Some experts recommend bringing ferritin levels to 70 and maintaining that level.
Essential oil scalp treatments have been very successful for alopecia areata and other types of hair loss. Essential oils have many of the same actions as synthetic topical treatments but they do not come with the adverse side effects. You can learn more about using essential oils as a natural hair loss remedy at the links below. I have also included a link to article on hair loss around edges. Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Hair Loss Around Edges, Temples, Hairline
http://ezinearticles.com/?Female-Hair-Loss-On-Sides,-Temples,-And-Around-Edges&i
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Understanding Female Hair Loss

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig