Hair Loss/hair loss

I'm 31 years old and have noticed a increase in the last 2-3 weeks in my hair loss. (Averaging 100 or so hairs a day) I haven't colored my hair in 6 weeks and my hair feels a lot less voluminous than before. Upon examination of the hair I brush or comb out I notice it has a white round bulb on the end... my question is: Is this a normal cycle or am I loosing my hair? I haven't been ill or noticed any other signs of a condition.  Thanks.

Noticing 100 fallen strands per day definitely indicates a hair loss problem. Although it is true that we can lose 50-100 strands per day, most of our daily hair loss goes unnoticed as it falls randomly throughout the day. The white bulb at the end of the fallen strand only indicates that the hair cycled through to the telogen (resting) stage before falling out. The white bulb develops in the telogen stage. This is normal even when a hair loss disorder is not present.
You may have a form of telogen effluvium. Telogen effluvium is very common. The most common form is called "acute telogen effluvium." This condition can be brought about by a sudden, acute trigger such as viral or bacterial infection, flu with fever, new medication, medical procedure including dental, vaccination, illness, food poisoning, extreme diet change, etc. The trigger occurs 2-3 months before the hair starts shedding. Because of this many people do not relate the incidence to the shedding. Thinking back to the months prior to the shedding may provide clues.
With acute telogen effluvium, the shedding can last several weeks to six months. Once the body adjusts to (or heals from) the trigger, the hair growth cycle restores back to normal. If the shedding lasts longer than six months it would indicate an internal imbalance that needs to be identified and addressed.
Essential oil scalp treatments can stimulate new, faster hair growth and improve quality of exisiting hair. You can learn more about female hair loss and using essential oils as a natural hair loss remedy at the links provided below.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Understanding Female Hair Loss
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.