Hair Loss/hairloss and monoxidil

Question
I was recently experiencing massive hair loss on the frontal area. after blood tests, i was diagnosed with hormonal imbalance. My doc prescribed, Diane 35, a shampoo for thinning hair, ketoconazole 2% shampoo, saw palmetto capsules, and finally minoxidil 5%.

now i have only one question. should i use minoxidil 5%? i mean i've heard that results will last as long as i use the product. is it true for my case of hormonal imbalance, too? or not? does other products solely work for me? and if i start using minoxidil can i quit it or not?

My mom also started showing hairless problem after 50.

Answer
The use of Minoxidil in your case is to stimulate hairs which recently fell out. The hairs fell out due to the hormonal imbalance but they may not be completely dead and the minoxidil acts as an artificial stimulant to the sick or dying hairs.  This is very similar to a hear-lung machine keeping a body alive artificially until it repairs itself. After your hairs grow out you can gradually stop using the minoxidil to see if you need to keep using it to keep the hairs alive.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>