Hair Loss/LICHEN PLANOPILARIS

Question
MY WIFE HAS THIS AND SHE IS LOSING HER HAIR.IS THE HAIR LOSE FOR GOOD ? IS THERE A PLACE ANY WHERE WE CAN GOOD TO CURE THIS?CAN SHE GET IMPLANTS IN HER HAIR ONCE SHE LOSES IT?

Answer
Lichen Planopilaris is a disease of the hair follicles which is difficult to treat and vey difficult to predict how it will progress.
 There are a number of treatments which can be tried to stop the scarring. This may include taking antibiotics, topical cortisone lotions, injecting cortisone into the areas involved, and taking oral cyclosporin.
 Once the condition has "burned out" or gone into remission it is possible to do hair transplants into the scarred bald areas.
 Dermatologists in Louisiana are among the best trained specialists in the world with both LSU and Tulane dermatology residency programs at Charity Hospitals. I think moat any of the dermatologists in your area will know how to treat this and can refer you to a dermatologist who does transplants. You may have to go to New Orleans for the transplants but long before you do that you have to get the LPP to quiet down and become inactive otherwise all the new transplanted hairs could die as well.
  At this site you will find a very good review of LPP:
http://derm.hsl.washington.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/lichenplanopilaris2009

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>