Hair Loss/How long does TE lasts?

I am currently undergoing Telogen Effluvium for 2 months plus. SHedding started in Mid August.

Up till now, my hair is still shedding, like about 30 plus a day.
Although it has improved (used to be 50 plus to 70 a day when it started), I am still very disheartened by the sight of seeing hairs coming out during combing, with just gentle manipulation.

I would like to know, usually how long does shedding takes?
My hair is already thinning out, I doubt I am going to have anymore spare hair for TE soon...

I do see new hair growths everywhere.

ANSWER: There are two main types of telogen effluvium--acute and chronic. With acute telogen effluvium the shedding can last anywhere from a few weeks to six months. Acute telogen effluvium usually comes from a sudden but temporary trigger such as high fever, infection, ect. Once the body heals from (or adjusts to) the trigger the hair growth cycle returns to normal.
When shedding lasts more than six months the condition is called chronic telogen effluvium. Chronic telogen effluvium indicates that there is an internal imbalance that needs to be identified and corrected. Even minor imbalances can cause this condition. Some of the more common causes include nutritional imbalances, mal-aborption issues, thyroid disorders, chronic systemic infection such as candidiasis albicans, etc.
Seeing lots of new growth is a good sign! With chronic telogen effluvium the number of fallen hairs can vary quite a bit from day to day and week to week, but if you are noticing less shedding on a consistent basis that is also a good sign.  
Essential oil scalp treatments can help stimulate new healthy hair growth by increasing nourishment and energy directly to root and follicle of hair, and by getting the scalp in the best condition possible. You can learn more about using essential oils as a natural hair loss remedy at the links provided below. Although essential oils can help stimulate hair growth, it is important to determine and treat the underlying cause.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Understanding Female Hair Loss
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies

Thank you for your response!
I am shedding from 20 to 30 a day these days. Is that considered normal?

I still find the shedding to be massive though, as I used to have only 4-5 strands of hair on my brush per day.

Thank you! :)

ANSWER: The best way to gauge if shedding is excessive, is to think back and remember what was "normal" for you before the telogen effluvium began. When shedding is back to that amount you will know that the hair growth cycle has been repaired. It sounds like you are still noticing more fallen strands than you did prior to the problem. This can be partly due to the fact that you are more aware and more sensitive to your hair now. If you are watching for and counting fallen hairs you may notice more than you would have previously.
Because your shedding is consistently decreasing, you may be coming to the end of your telogen effluvium.
It may be helpful to think back to the months prior to the shedding to try to pinpoint the trigger. Shedding from telogen  effluvium usually occurs two to three months after the trigger.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Understanding Female Hair Loss

Understand that telogen effluvium has no treatment.
However, I would like to know I there is anything I can do to reduce the impact of shedding currently?
Or any ways to take care of my hair during shedding period.

Thank you!

Treatment for telogen effluvium is multi-faceted. The most successful treatments may involve several different angles. First of all it is important to determine and address any underlying issue(s), especially if the condition is chronic--implying that an internal imbalance(s) is present.
Secondly it is helpful to use methods to stimulate new hair growth and improve quality of existing hair. I prefer natural treatments such as essential oils, as they are safe and natural, yet potent and powerful.
In addition to this, any improvements in overall health and well-being will ultimately benefit the hair. The condition of one's hair is a refection of overall physical and emotional health. If the body is well nourished, healthy and happy, the hair growth cycle will have an easier time repairing itself. Any obstacles can prolong and inhibit repair.
You can learn more about using essential oils for telogen effluvium and other hair loss conditions at the links below.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Understanding Female Hair Loss

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.