Hair Loss/premature hair loss

Question
Dear sir.I'm Rafsan from Bangladesh.I am only 17 but 70 precent of my hair has fallen out.I have a very oily and itchy scalp.I have had dandruff for 3 years started from when i was 13.Now the dandruff has gone but my hair is still falling.And there is no new hair growth on my scalp.Currently i am using a 2 percent salicylic acid based shampoo(ionil T).it claims to help controlling stubborn dandruff,seborrheic dermatitis,psoriasis.I'm also using rogaine for 5 months but there is no improvement.I have some tiny pus filled pimples on my scalp and they itch a lot.Please note that I haven't consulted any doctor yet.My hair has become so thin and unhealthy.the roots are too weak.when i touch my hair it pains from the root.please help me sir.thank you.

Answer
Notably, several health conditions, including thyroid disease and iron deficiency anemia, can cause hair loss. While thyroid blood tests and other lab tests, including a complete blood count (CBC), on people who have ordinary hair loss are usually normal, it is important to exclude underlying causes in sudden or severe hair loss. If you are concerned about some other underlying health issues, you may start by seeing your family physician, or internist, for basic health screening. Dermatologists are doctors who specialize in problems of skin, hair, and nails and may provide more advanced diagnosis and treatment of hair thinning and loss. Sometimes a scalp biopsy may be taken to help in diagnosis of severe or unexplained hair loss.

Hair Loss

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>