Hair Loss/Chronic hairloss - at a loss!

Question
Hi Melanie,
I came across your website and info while searching for some hope regarding my chronic hair loss.  I'm a 39 year old woman who has been experiencing chronic diffuse hair loss over the last 5 years.  At the beginning, I felt that I was able to keep it under control - I had my moments where the shedding stopped and hair growth was coming in.  However, that has been short lived.  The shedding has increased tremendously over the last year and a half.  In fact, I can be sitting at my desk and and I will feel hair fall onto my arm without touching my head in any way. I would say I have an obvious thinning happening at my crown. There's now  a very funky cowlick at the back of my head.  Although, I can see hairgrowth on my scalp, it's life is truly short lived.  I feel I shed at such an accelerated rate that my hair growth does not have a moment to catch up.  In addition, the texture and quality of my hair has declined.  My hair lacks elasticity, sheen, and of course body. My hair color has gotten lighter and experiences extreme moments of dryness or oiliness.   I've had my thyroid tested several times over the last 5 years and all appears to be normal.  I've had nutritional levels tested which also appeared within normal range.  I had my hormones tested - progesterone, estrogen and testosterone and all appeared normal with that as well. I've never taken birth control, I haven't been pregnant, I'm not peri-menopausal.  I wish I can figure out the issue so that I can clearly understand how I can treat my hear.  After my long winded explanation, I guess my question for you is - Can I still go about treating the hair with the essential oil treatments that you mention without knowing the source of its problem? I've tried many organic shampoos and even tried the WEN line but nothing nothing seems to be decreasing the shedding and increasing the look of healthy hair. My own mother who is a hairdresser seems to be at a loss as well. She continually searches for products and treatments to help, but nothing seems to have a long term effect on my hair. I miss my beautiful hair as it was one of my more distinguishing features.  It affects my confidence in the dating world and as an actress in my theatrical world. I've resigned to the fact that I may not have the same hair I had in my 20s but God knows that there has to be something between that and this. Any guidance you can provide would be extremely helpful.  I appreciate your time and expertise!!  Regards, A woman who clings to hope!!

Answer
It is often difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of chronic diffuse hair loss. Often more than one factor may be involved. Nutritional deficiencies can cause texture changes and diffuse hair loss. Deficiency of essential fatty acids can cause dry hair, lighter color, and diffuse hair loss. Iron deficiency (or low ferritin levels) can also cause hair to lighten and become dry. Low iron/ferritin is commonly associated with female hair loss. Vitamin C deficiency can also cause poor growth and texture changes. Increase in vitamin C can have a dramatic effect on hair growth and texture. A deficiency of zinc or vitamin A can cause dry hair with oily scalp, as well as hair loss. Although diet may be good, it is possible to be deficient in nutrients due to malabsorption issues.
When hair loss is chronic and unexplainable it is important to consider every possible symptom you may be having--even seemingly unrelated symptoms as hair is a reflection of our overall condition.
Essential oils can help stimulate new hair growth and improve quality of hair even when other conditions are present. The hair loss condition may persist if underlying condition is not identified and corrected. Improvements can be made but hair may not grow to full potential until body is balanced.  

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig