Hair Loss/female hair loss

I have been experiencing hair loss for about 7 1/2 years which started when I was 24 years old. My hair is noticeably thin at my part right on the top of my head and on the sides of my hair line. Over the past month I have counted the hairs lost when I wash my hair. I have been losing 100-200 hairs just while my hair is wet every time I wash it which is 3-5 times per week. Recently I have talked to my doctor about this issue and expressed that I want to get to the bottom of my hair loss. I have had several tests done and everything is normal. Tests done that were normal were free testosterone/total, DHEA, iron binding capacity, and thyroid panel. My ferritin level is 46. I have read online on a few different sites that ferritin levels need to be around 70 for a few months to regrow hair. My ob/gyn believes I may have androgenic alopecia and basically told me rogaine was my only option right now. If this my only option I would rather try something more natural. I would really appreciate any advice you may have.

The most common type of hair loss that causes excessive shedding from the roots is telogen efflvuium. When the shedding lasts more than six months the condition is considered chronic. Chronic telogen effluvium is an indication of an internal imbalance that needs to be determined and corrected in order for hair growth to restore to normal.
With telogen effluvium the hair loss falls fairly evenly throughout the scalp. The hair is replaced but can become quite sparse if the new growing hair does not have a chance to catch up with the falling hair.
If your hair loss is only in certain areas (sides and top) you may have a different type of hair loss. With androgenetic alopecia you would not have excessive shedding for 7 1/2 years. Androgenetic alopecia causes individual hairs in certain areas--(top/bang area) to progressively become thinner, weaker and slower growing. This is a slow and gradual process.
If your hair loss is at the top (forehead) hairline and side hairlines--resembling a receding hairline you may have another type of hair loss disorder. I am including a link to an article on receding hairline  female, or hair loss around edges for you to read in case this applies to you.
Some experts suggest that women with hair loss disorders get their ferritin levels up to 70 to help restore hair growth.
Essential oils are a safe, natural and effective alternative to synthetic topical treatments. They have many of the same actions without adverse side effects. You can learn more at the links provided below.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Female Hair Loss on Sides, Temples, Edges,-Temples,-And-Around-Edges&i
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies
Understanding Female Hair Loss  

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.