Hair Loss/Hair color leading to hair loss

Question
Dear Melanie,
I am 58 years with good health. I have been dying my hair since last 20 years.I have been using Loreal Xcellence hair colour only.But for  the last five years I color my hair at home and leave the color for about an hour. Then i take bath and wash off the hair color and also use Loreal conditioner and rinse my hair.
The result is that I have lost lots of hair. My hair have become thin and life less on the scalp.
Luckly I have  no itching,no blisters on scalp and a little dandruff.But I am loosing my hair at a rapid pace.Due to this fear I have not used hair color for the last three weeks.However, I have used Castir Oil and Almond oil on my scalp. The result is slight improvement in the look of my hair.
Kindly help me with steps to :-
I) How to Stop the hair fall
2) How to re-grow my hair
3) Practical steps to keep healty hair
4) Which hair color to use or suggest any "safe" chemical free hair colour.
Thanking you,
Asma

Answer
It is possible that your hair loss and texture changes may be due to heavy continual use of hair dye, expecially if you are leaving it on longer than suggested. Hair dye is more likely to cause breakage than actual hair loss from the roots.
I prefer using pure henna and indigo to dye my hair. I only purchase from hennaforhair.com as their products are far superior than any others I have tried. It colors beautifully and is actually good for hair. You can get various shades depending on the ratio of henna to indigo used.
Although the hair dye seems the obvious cause for your hair changes, there may be other factors involved. It is important to determine if there are any other underlying causes of your hair loss and texture changes. It is also important to determine whether the hair is falling from roots, breaking off or just thinnng in diameter, and whether it is occuring evenly throughout the scalp or if it is more prominent in certain areas.
Essential oils can be very effective to stimulate new hair growth and improve quality of hair. You can learn more about using essential oils as a natural hair loss remedy at the links provided below.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/aromatherapy%20for%20hair%20loss.html
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/Books%20info.html
Understanding Female Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/overcomefemalehairloss.html  

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig