Hair Loss/hairfall

QUESTION: Hi Melanie,
         I've been experiencing a lot of hairfall over the past two months..not sure if this is telogen effluvium or if it is some other underlying problem..I've done all my tests namely CBC ,thyroid , iron and everything seems to be normal.. what's  the normal hairfall per day and if this is telogen effluvium I'm experiencing please shed some light as to how long it will last? I'm stressed:)

ANSWER: Telogen effluvium is the most common type of hair loss that causes excessive shedding from the roots. With telogen effluvium the shedding occurs fairly evenly throughout the scalp rather than in localized areas. There are two types of telogen effluvium--acute and chronic. Acute telogen efflvuium can result from a sudden temporary shock or disturbance to the system such as infection, high fever, trauma, medical procedure, etc. With this condition the increased shedding lasts from several weeks up to six months. The shedding will begin several months after the trigger. Thinking back to the months prior to the shedding may provide clues to the trigger.
When the shedding is long-lasting (over six months) it is considerd chronic telogen efflvuium--indicating an internal imbalance that needs to be identified and corrected. It can be difficult to pinpoint exact cause as often there are multiple contributing factors. Some of the more common causes include medications, birth control, nutritional deficiency, malabsorption issues, exposure to toxins or allergens, extreme stress, hormonal problems, systemic yeast infection, systemic inflammation, thyroid, autoimmune, etc. Telogen efflvuim does not cause baldness but the hair can dramatically decrease in volume if the condition persists.
Essential oil scalp treatments can help stimulate new hair growth and improve the quality of existing hair but it is also important to treat the underlying issue(s). You can learn more about using essential oils for female hair loss at the links provided below.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies
Understanding Female Hair Loss

Thanks so much for your quick response.. What is the normal hairfall per day ? I exercise regularly , eat well balanced meals and get a good amount of sleep... How often does telogen effluvium occur?

It is normal to lose 50-100 strands of hair per day, but most of this normal daily hair loss goes unnoticed. The best way to gauge what is normal is to think back to the amount of hair loss you noticed per day before the problem occurred. When it gets back to that point you will know that the condition is ending.
When the body has a difficult time adjusting to a change, disturbance or imbalance (or multiple imbalances) telogen efflvuium can occur. It is as if the body is saying "I've had enough, I can't cope with this anymore"--causing the hair growth cycle to become disrupted. Not everybody will get telogen efflvuium when the body is stressed. Some people respond to these types of situations with headaches, digestive problems, etc. Others respond with hair loss. The best thing to do is to keep body, mind and spirit healthy, well nourished and balanced in order to decrease the chance of this happening again.  
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Understanding Female Hair Loss

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.