Hair Loss/seborrheic dermatitis/hair thinning

Question
Hi Melanie,

For the past six months I have been dealing with diffuse hair thinning and eyebrow loss and a very annoying/painful burning, itching, tingling sensation along with flaking on my scalp and eyebrows as well. I was recently diagnosed by a doctor with seborrheic dermatitis and he is treating me with nizoral 2% shampoo. Since starting the nizoral my burning and itching are nearly completely gone and I wanted to know the possibility of the hair I have lost in the past 6 months growing back.

Thanks

Answer
Seborrheic dermatitis can cause hair loss in the areas that are affected. The hairline and eyebrows are most commonly affected as they are oil-producing areas. The hair loss often occurs due hairs being trapped under scales. These hairs will then loosen and fall out when the scales are loosened. The scales can also create a barrier, disabling newly growing hairs to permeate through the scalp. Seborrheic dermatitis is a sebum and fungal yeast problem that creates scales. Once the problem is under control, the hair growth should return to normal. It is important to try to determine if there is an underlying issue contributing to the disorder such as zinc or other nutritional deficiency, internal fungal/yeast infection, thyroid disorder, hormonal, or any other type of imbalance.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/aromatherapy%20for%20hair%20loss.html
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/Books%20info.html
Understanding Female Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/overcomefemalehairloss.html

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig