Hair Loss/DHT Blocking Hair Treatment

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. John Nikolaou,
 I am writing to you with regard to a sample product I received recently . I do not suffer from hair loss, but due to dying my hair excessively, I left myself in a position where my hair felt like chewing gum and broke constantly, leaving my clothes (and seats I sat in etc) covered in hairs. As you can guess, my hair length and thickness reduced rapidly.
I decided to dye it back to its "natural" colour so that I could allow it to grow out. I cut off all the broken, wiry ends and went scouring the Internet for hair growing tips etc.

I had many friends and friends-of-friends, hairdressers even, suggest I buy horse shampoo and use it. I'd heard before that horse shampoo helps to make your hair stronger, thicker and grow quicker - but I'd never tried it. So I ordered a shampoo and conditioner from a well known horse hair care brand (for the want of a better description) but thankfully they had a human range of the same type of products so I bought that. When I received my items in the post I was given a sample of another type of hair growing treatment along with it. It claims to be a DHT blocker and that by blocking 'harmful' DHTs it allows your hair to grow.

I'm just wondering if you could tell me what the side effects of using this product would be? You apply it onto your scalp/roots etc., leave it for say the night and then wash it out in the morning. A friend of mine used this particular product as well as hair growth promoting shampoos and in the space of ten days her hair had grown half an inch. Upon researching it I have come across a vast array of opinions from no side effects to permanent blocking of DHTs to uncontrollable weight gain (and the list goes on).
The results of this DHT blocker were of course great in relation to hair growth but, I cannot help but worry that there is some underlying problem, some serious side effects that are as of yet unseen.

Any help you can offer me, is and will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for taking your time to read this.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Andi.

ANSWER: Hi Andi,

What are the actives in this DHT blocking shampoo that you are referring to?

I would recommend that you do a deep conditioning treatment (perhaps at a well known salon nearby (usually a thick , rich cream and heat are involved).

Secondly I would recommend a Shampoo and Conditioner called FAST (see internet for countless testimonials on Facebook and Youtube).  This will grow your hair out much quicker than onn it's own.

Hope this helps.

Best of Luck.

QUESTION: Dear John Nikolaou,
Thank you so much for response due to problems with my computer and internet access and then email access I have been unable to write back to your answer.
 The product that I was referencing was " groganics  DHT BLOCKER SYSTEM Hair Gro-n-Wild". It says it is "For advanced hair loss and severely thinning hair only!". The results to using this product are great, I wont lie, it's practically growing noticeably by the day. However this is what worries me. How can this be safe? Is it not in some way carcinogenic? In which case the price for faster growing hair is by no means justifiable. When using this product there is a tingling sensation on your scalp and then it feels slightly 'cool' for a while.
There is absolutely no denying that this product will not fix the damage I did to my hair (by the reckless bleaching) but it does make your hair grow at an exceedingly fast rate. I would greatly appreciate any help you an give me.
I know if I were to ingest the 'DHT blocker' in the form of a capsule or whatnot and if I were male I'd run the risk of prostate cancer... So as a woman applying this to my scalp, I'm afraid as to what the risks I'm running are.
Once again, I'd like to thank you for your previous answer.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Andi.

Answer
Dear Andi,

The limited ingredient info available on line lists vitamins, amino acids and Saw Palmetto in particular as the Active...........not dangerous in any way to your health.  I am guessing that the tingling and/or cool sensation is caused by either a Nicotinate variation and/ or a menthol or mint based ingredient.......a quick search did not yield specific Ingredient listings.

Based on what info is available, it does not appear to be dangerous at all.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Hair Loss

John Nikolaou