Hair Loss/DHT

What exactly is DHT? What c7auses it and is there a cure for it?

DHT is a potent male hormone. Male hormones are also known as androgens. Androgens are produced by females as well as males, but in smaller amounts.  DHT is highly associated with male pattern baldness and can also contribute to female pattern baldness, also known as female androgenetic alopecia. DHT attaches to hair follicle receptors in persons who are genetically predisposed to this condition. Only certain follicles are affected. In females the follicles involved are mostly on the top center of scalp and near the bang area. female pattern hair loss is much less extensive than male pattern baldness.
DHT causes the follicles to shrink. This is a slow and gradual process. Follicles receive their nutrients through the bloodstream. A smaller, shrunken follicle will have difficult time receiving adequate nutrition. The narrower follicle will produce thinner, more fragile hairs that are less nourished. The "miniaturized" hairs provide less scalp coverage causing hair to become less dense and scalp to become more visible.  
When estrogen levels are lowered, androgens can become more prominent which is why androgenetic alopecia often affects post-menopausal women.
Some of the natural substances people used to inhibit the effects of DHT include saw palmetto, nettles, pumpkin seed oil, pygeum, quercetin, zinc, etc. There are also medications that are prescribed for this purpose. Whether using natural or synthetic treatments, it is important to investigate thoroughly to see if there are any personal contraindications.
Healthy diet and lifestyle can go a long way in keeping hair healthy, even when there is a genetic predisposition. Anti-inflammatory/ insulin resistance diet can help keep hormones balanced and can greatly contribute to overall health and beauty.
I believe essential oil scalp treatments can help delay and inhibit effects of miniaturization. Essential oils provide energy and nourishment directly to the follicle and roots of hair. Their vasodilating effects help keep the follicles widened and rejuvenated. Many essential oils are excellent solvents. They have the ability to help dissolve and cleanse sebum on the scalp in which DHT can become trapped in. Because the molecules of essential oils are as small or smaller than the molecules of skin, they have excellent ability to penetrate the follicles and become easily absorbed. You can learn more about female hair loss and using essential oils as a natural hair loss remedy at the links provided below.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Understanding Female Hair Loss

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.