Hair Loss/Hair loss after Birth Control

Hi there,
I stopped Yasmin in October 2012 and started noticing major hair loss beginning of seems to be quite rapid. Not only in the shower, but when i brush is the worse and when it drys (i air dry it now) it continues to shed. I find hairs all over (food, clothes, pillow).
How do you tell if it is TE or AGA?
The hairs are long and have white bulbs at the ends.
I am a dietitian so i doubt that it is related to a nutritional def...i eat well and supplement with a multi vit, b complex.

I am now taking saw palmetto and evening primrose.
Any idea how long this will last?
Will i go bald??

I am only 29 and there is no family history of early hair thinning that i know of.

Thanks in advance,

Your hair loss sounds like telogen effluvium due to changes that occurred from stopping birth control pill. Starting, stopping or switching birth control pills can lead to hair loss in some people. Anytime the body has a difficult time dealing with a change, disturbance or imbalance, telogen effluvium can occur. When this happens more than the usual amount of hairs retreat to the resting (telogen) stage of the hair growth cycle. After resting for two to three months these hairs begin falling out. Due to the time line of your stopping pill and starting shedding, stopping the pill is a probable cause or contributing factor. The hair growth cycle is especially sensitive to hormonal changes such as those that occur from starting or stopping birth control.
The white bulbs at the end of the hair only indicates that the hair went into telogen before shedding. (White bulb develops in telogen stage.) This is normal even when a hair loss condition is not present.
With androgenetic alopecia you will not experience the type of excessive shedding you describe. Androgenetic alopecia causes a narrowing of hair follicles that cause hairs to become thinner and weaker. It is a slow and gradual process. It does not cause sudden, noticeable thinning. Rather than actual hair loss, androgenetic alopecia causes individual stands in certain areas to become thinner and thinner, providing less scalp coverage.
Because you are otherwise very healthy and take good care of yourself, it is possible that your body will adjust to the changes of being off the pill. If your body adjusts quickly to the changes, the hair growth cycle may restore back to normal on it's own.
Essential oil scalp treatments can help stimulate new hair growth and improve quality of existing hair by increasing energy and nourishment directly to the follicle and root of hair. You can learn more about using essential oils as a natural hair loss remedy at the links provided below.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies
Understanding Female Hair Loss
Birth Control and Hair Loss

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.