Hair Loss/Hair loss and seborrheic dermatitis

Question
This last June I started losing my hair in clumps , at the same time I had developed seborrheic dermatitis after being stressed out over my son coming home with lice and using chemical treatments to get rid of them. At the same time I developed severe acne, irregular periods and some fuzz on my face.  In mid August I wen on desogen and nizoral shampoo and did iron infusions to get my iron up to 80.  The hairloss got better.  But I am still losing about 50 per day and some of my new growth .  My scalp is very sore and itchy .  i started using dhs zinc 5 times a week  nizoral twice a week. I tried tarsum but all it did was burn my scalp.  I also discovered that I have Adenomyosis and my OB doc wants me to have a hysterectomy .  My question is , what can I do to get rid of this dermatitis and what hormone replacement do you recommend so I don't shed badly again ?  Thank you !!!!!!

Answer
Stress can cause hair loss. Normal loss is 50 to 100 hairs per day.  Low iron can prevent normal regrowth of hair and once you get your hair shedding to stop you will have to wait four to six months to see the hairs change their growth cycles to see new hairs. You will have to be patient.
If your seborrheic dermatitis is not coming under control with your present treatment you should ask your dermatologist for a ketoconizole foam or cream to rub in at night and perhaps ketoconizole pills(NIzoral)200mg daily for two weeks and then 400mg once a week for a month or two to kill off the yeast causing the dermatitis.
 I would ask your OBGYN doctor about hormone replacement therapy but if given a choice ask for the low to no testosterone HRT. Some women shed a lot with the testosterone supplement meant to give them more drive.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>