Hair Loss/Sudden Hair loss - 25 year old female

Question
Good Morning Doctor,
I am in a distressing situation. I have gone to dermatologists who have not been helpful, but I have lost nearly 40% of my hair this year. It happened after stopping birth control pills (Loestrin). After 3 months of being off of them, my hair shed hundreds of hairs per day for about 3 months, then tapered off in November and now I am shedding normal amounts of hair. However, my hair is now extremely thin compared to what it was last year.

I am seeing some regrowth, but not all of it so far. My hair stopped shedding in November so it has only been about 2 and a half months since my hair has stopped shedding.

Will I get more regrowth? is this temporary? Please help me, I feel so depressed!

There is no hairloss whatsoever in my family on either side, by the way, Men or Women, not even my grandmothers or grandfathers.

Answer
This is a temporary thinning due Telogen Effluvium common after discontinuance of an birth control pill. Your dermatologists are correct in that the change of hormones caused this and you should see increased density four to six months after the shed stops. The hair has already started growing back for the past two months as evidenced by the short hairs you have seen. Hairs grow 1/2 inch per month for about 5 years and then change their growth cycle from active Anagen phase to the resting and end stage and this takes 4 to 6 weeks before they fall out and another 6 weeks before you see then new Anagen hair peeking out through the skin. At 1/2 inch per month it will take you another full year to have hair 7 inches long which will give you the density you once had on top. You just need to be patient. There is little you can do to speed up the regrowth other than the use of Rogaine for the next six months. I suggest you use the 5% Rogaine for men applied only once a day in the morning as the last thing you do before combing your hair for the day.
 With no family history of hair loss I think you can expect 90% of your original hair to grow back.  I would expect you to continue to see small new hairs and the once inch hairs will continue to grow at 1/2 inch per month. You need to be patient. It will take two years for your new hairs to be 12 inches long. In a few months you may want to get a shorter hair style so that all the hairs are closer to being the same length.
Not everyone who stops a BCP ends up with a Telogen Effluvium and most all of that hair grows back.  

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>