Hair Loss/Children's hair shedding

I have found your website very helpful and was wondering if you had any insight into children's hair loss. My daughter has suffered hormonal imbalances since she was 3. Initially, her pediatric endocrinologist suspected precocious puberty but after doing thorough blood work etc, my daughter suffers from an increase production in DHEA (all other hormones are normal) and has a diagnose of preandrarche which is sometimes a precursor to PCOS.

Now that she has entered puberty at 10, her hair is shedding like crazy since January.  I know it is hormonal related and likely an imbalance, but do you have any suggestions on how to help her thru it? Does your book I plan on ordering address children's hair loss? It is obvious this hormone stuff is something she will have to deal with forever, but at such a young she, I'm at a loss on how to address it. Her endocrinologist said its her sensitivity to hormones and is hoping it will balance out.

Any suggestions?

The newest version of my book Hair Loss in Women...Getting to the Root of the Problem has a chapter on infant, childhood and teenage hair loss. It also has information on how to handle the subject with the children and teens who are experiencing hair loss, as it can be a delicate subject.
I will send you a downloadable copy of the newest version of my book if you email me at
Sincerely, Melanie VZ

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.