Hair Loss/Facial hair color question.

Question
Howdy! Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Taylor, I'm 20 years old and rocking both a mustache and chin patch (not a goatee yet) that I treasure dearly!

That being said, I'm having an issue with said hair. You see, a few years back, all my facial hair was pure Black. Now the chin hair and part of my mustache are growing in Red! Yes, Red! I honestly love the Black and Red combo that I got going, and more and more I see more Red than Black. However, I was wondering why I'm now starting to get Red hairs as well as Black.

I was told it was due to my genetics, and how people can have multi-colored facial hair, or that I'm aging and I'm losing my hair color. I hope it's not the latter, but which one would you say is correct? I'm a bit worried!

Cheers!

~Taylor

Answer
It is due to your genetics and Dr Norman Orentreich who is considered the father of modern hair transplantation noted that he had both red and black scalp hair. His mother apparently had red hair and his father had black hair. This kind of inheritance is consider mosaicism. A patchy pattern of some cells with one parent's genes and the rest with the other parent's genes. In Dr Orentreich's case he noted the red hairs turned white and aged more quickly than the others. This was described by nearly 50 years ago. Decades from now you may notice the red hairs may turn white before the black ones. Or it may be the reverse in your case. This does not mean you are fading in color and going from black to red nor does it mean you will lose all your color prematurely.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>