Hair Loss/hair loss & breakage

I Have a client that is suing me for her hair loss and breakage. One of my stylists gave her a perm 10/17/2011, claiming $3500. in hair restoration products, cuts etc. for 2 years. She did not tell my stylist that she was on medication,and she is in her 80's or late 70's. I need to prove that a perm can only break hair not damage the hair follicle, therefore all the damage would be gone in 4 to 6 months, and could be caused from various reasons. Also hair loss is not due to a bad perm, more likely from medication and old age! Can you please help me? Court date 10/22/2013

Perming your hair will eventually cause it to become extremely brittle and easily split and broken. Perming causes damage to the hair cuticles by breaking the bonds that give the hair its shape and later reforming them. This can cause the entire cuticle, which protects the hair from breakage, to strip off. Perming also causes the scales of the cuticle to lift and become separated, weakening the structure of the hair and making it break easier.

Another long-term effect of perming on your hair is that it strips the moisture from your hair, making it dry. Natural oils, moisture and lipids are stripped from your hair during the chemical perming process. This tends to leave your hair dry and porous. In turn, it can cause your hair to look dull and even straw-like in appearance.

Hot oil treatments and intensive conditioners may serve to lessen dried-out hair, but it is best to avoid getting it in the first place.

Hair Loss
In extreme cases, perms have been known to cause hair loss. The harsh chemicals in the perm solution if used frequently and long term, cause scabs and scarring that can lead to temporary or permanent hair loss.

Hair loss caused by perms can either take the form of thinning on top of the head or hair loss in clumps or patches. Perm chemicals can also lead to central centrifugal cicatricial alopecia, formerly called hot comb alopecia, which also causes hair loss.

Hair Loss

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.