Hair Loss/losing up to brushful hair each shampoo

I don't know if it's stress, poverty that causes me to not get enough protein or what but I'm losing about a handful of hair whenever I brush or shampoo and I don't brush for very long.

Rogain was recommended but it smells bad. I've tried various hair vitamins, biotin, etc. Nioxin shampoo, etc.

It's very upsetting. Feel like entire sections from the back of my head are gone just in the past 3 months.

It's been recommended that I try Iron sulfate 324 mg 1x a day. I need to know the very best solution even if it's a gunshot solution.

I have thin/fine hair and I used to have alot of it and now I have significantly less and it looks really crappy. Thinking of cutting it shorter.

It's curley so I don't blow dry often. I dye it once every 8 weeks and try to not die once every 4 weeks. Don't know if it's the stress, the hair color, the age but I'm betting on the stress.

Please suggest whatever you can and know that I prefer more natural remedies rather than something like Rogaine and using Nioxin really dried the hair.

The shampoo I have from the health food store is fine. I think it's the stress.

Tell me what I can do
For how long
What results I might expect.
Many thanks

It's very important to determine the type and cause of hair loss in order to implement the best treatment. If you truly are losing entire sections of hair from the back of head you may have a form of alopecia areata.
Both telogen effluvium and alopecia areata can cause rapid, excessive shedding. With telogen effluvium the hair loss will be fairly even throughout the scalp. Alopecia areata can cause patches of baldness or areas of baldness. The nape of neck is a common spot for alopecia areata to occur.
Have you seen a professional or received a diagnosis? You say you were recommended iron sulfate. Was it determined that your iron/ferritin levels are low? Low iron/ferritin can cause or contribute to hair loss. If your levels are indeed low, it would be important to get your levels up in order to facilitate hair growth. Even if there is another cause(s) of your hair loss, iron levels must be at a certain level in order for hair growth to resume once a hair loss condition is established.
Please send more information if you would like me to help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.