Hair Loss/TE

QUESTION: I was orginally told that I had Alopecia Areata. All my test came out normal. My second dermatologist did a pull test and looked at my scalp and said that I have TE. Told me to try Rogaine for for month. I had stress for some time; Son in prison, sister died right after, car wreck,surgery, job stress, job change. I was given antidepressent by my Doc. I am 57 yrs old. I excercise intensely about four to five times a week. After my sister died during my physical my Cholesterol was too high and doctor suggested weight loss. I lost 23 lb in 2011 in about eight months or so. I was advised to see an endocrinologist. I am now even more stressed out then ever. I have a four inch bald patch on the right side on top/ear and a small one on the side with thinning on the top. Please advise! Thank you.

ANSWER: Telogen effluvium rarely causes actual bald spots as you describe. Telogen effluvium causes diffuse hair loss. The hair falls fairly evenly throughout the scalp. When the condition is long-lasting (chronic telogen effluvium) there may be areas where the hair loss looks more prominent, but actual bald patches are not characteristic of telogen effluvium. Smooth bald patches, completely void of hair is a characteristic of alopecia areata. It is important to know for sure what type of hair loss you are dealing with.
Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disorder. If this is your condition, balancing the immune system would be a main part of treatment.
Feel free to send more information on your condition such as how long you've had condition, when it started, if you had continuous excessive shedding the whole time, any re-growth, etc.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss

QUESTION: I dont understand. Dermatologist looked at the scalp. The patch is not round. It kind of prolongs in a line near my ear. He did a hair pull test and said that and all the stress is a sure sign of TE. No Immune problem was fond on test done.

The most common form of alopecia areata is known as classical alopecia areata. This is the type that causes smooth round bald patches. There are other variations of alopecia areata that cause different patterns of hair loss.
Diffuse alopecia areata or alopecia areata incognita can mimic telogen effluvium.
Alopecia areata ophiasis creates an area of baldness in a band-like shape around the ear that travels down to nape of neck. The name "ophiasis" is from the Greek word meaning "serpent" symbolizing the snake-like pattern characteristic of this condition.
I am not suggesting that you have a form of alopecia areata. You did get two differing opinions from two different dermatologists. It is important to find out which one is correct. Many cases of alopecia areata can be determined with a visual examination by a trained professional. When the diagnosis in questionable, the most accurate information would come from scalp biopsy or microscopy with polarized light. There are certain markers that distinguish alopecia areata from other conditions. These markers cannot be seen with the unaided eye.
The onset of alopecia areata is often brought about by a trigger. These can be the same types of triggers that cause telogen effluvium.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss  

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.