Hair Loss/Hair loss and dieting

Question
QUESTION: Hi, i am recovering from telogen effulvium and most of my growth is still quite thin. i was wondering will dieting to lose weight affect my hair growth as i wish to lose weight sensibly but i do not want it to affect my hair growth or preventing it from reach its previous thickness?

Also is there any help you can give me as i heard that dieting may it be good or bad can lead to hair loss again? what can i do to prevent this from ever happening?

ANSWER: Dieting can lead to hair loss usually only if you limit the amount of iron intake or a severe diet with not enough protein. On rare occasions there have been people who eat raw egg whites which ties up BIOTIN and that too is needed to grow hair. Zinc is one other mineral which can rarely cause hair loss if it is not in your diet but it is so rare I have never seen a case. This can happen when someone forgets to put it in a patient who is dependent on IV fluids for nourishment for a matter of weeks or months. My suggestion is to take a standard multivitamin and go on a regular diet of your normal food but less of it - stop bread and butter and added sugar for a start.

QUESTION: thanks for the reply! Just a final question do you think that dieting/exercising now would affect my hair growing back?

Thanks

Answer
As I wrote already - dieting and exercise should not be a problem if you do the minimum and take a multivitamin and do not starve yourself.
Once you have had a TE you just have to wait three months for those hairs to change cycles and start growing. Topical Minoxidil may help speed up the recovery but there is little else you can do if you do not harm them even more by going to a  starvation diet.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>