Hair Loss/hair loss before & during periods

Hi Melanie,
I had a question kind of along the lines of another person who asked about increased shedding right before & during menstruation. I too notice increased shedding at these times; about 3 days before my period starts and then it stops about 4 days into my period. I was thinking maybe it could be due to something similar to what happens after pregnancy. After pregnancy, when hormone levels change, you experience hair shedding. Could the same thing be going on, but on a much smaller scale, during the menstrual cycle? what are your thoughts?
Thanks you!

Yes it's true that the dramatic change in hormone levels after delivery causes a high percentage of hairs to go into the telogen (resting) stage. The shedding of these hairs starts approximately three months later. It may be possible that the hormonal changes during the menstrual cycle cause this on a smaller scale, but the shedding would be from the cycle of previous three months. Although it seems as this could be possible I have not seen any type of research on the matter.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.