Hair Loss/telogen effulvium

Question
QUESTION: Hi, i recently suffered from telogen effulvium after a crash diet. A year later it started to grow back. it has now been nearly 2 years and my growth is very slow and thin in some places it has not even appeared? i am concerned as to why my growth is so slow. most hairs have only grown 3 maybe 4 inches?
why is this?

Thank you

ANSWER: Telogen effluvium causes excessive shedding that occurs fairly evenly throughout the scalp. With telogen effluvium the lost hair is replaced with a newly growing hair. When telogen effluvium is severe and long lasting there can be a noticeable decrease in volume. This is  because, (even though new hair is growing) the newly growing hairs do not have time to catch up with the rate of loss. Even the newly growing hairs can be shed. When excessive shedding lasts longer than six months the condition is termed "chronic telogen effluvium". If you are still shedding excessively you may have chronic telogen effluvium.
Telogen effluvium does not cause areas of baldness where there is no regrowth. If you have areas of baldness or thinning with no regrowth you may have a different form of hair loss. If crash diet caused your hair loss, and your diet is now healthy your hair growth should be close to normal by now.
The lack of regrowth and slow growth may indicate that there are other contributing factors involved.
Feel free to send more information so I may help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/overcomefemalehairloss.html

QUESTION: Hi thanks for the reply! i stopped shedding 3 years ago and only lasted 3 months and i only see very thin regrowth of about 3 inches. i wanted to know why my growth is so slow by now i was expecting my hair to turn back to normal?

also I read online that there are some cases there could be incomplete growth? why is that?

ANSWER: If you had excessive shedding from telogen effluvium three years ago for a period of three months, and your hair growth has not returned to normal other factors may be involved. Although crash dieting is one of the may possible causes for telogen effluvium, other possibilities must also be explored, especially since the hair growth has not returned to normal after the diet was improved.
Poor, slow growth may be due to nutritional deficiences, malabsorption issues, medications or internal imbalances. It is important to look at the entire picture for clues.
Also it is important to determine if you may be dealing with another type of hair loss disorder such as alopecia areata, chronic telogen effluvium or loose anagen syndrome.
In some cases of chronic telogen effluvium, the shedding is not as dramatic. The hair may cycle through it's various stages more quickly resulting in thin scalp hair and persistent shedding of shorter hairs.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss

QUESTION: Hi thank you for the reply, i havent noticed many of the little hairs shedding only when i am washing my hair with shampoo. i am worried about the slow regrowth and is regrowth incomplete in women?

also i have been taking biotin tablets which seem to be helping when should i notice the hair thicken up to normal?

Answer
Once telogen effluvium is ended, depending on how severe the shedding was, it can take up to 18 months for hair to restore to its original volume. Telogen effluvium that lasted only three months and happened three years ago would not be causing your current condition. If the areas of thinning are mostly on the top of head it may be androgenetic alopecia. Androgenetic alopecia causes hair in certain areas to become thinner and thinner, providing less scalp coverage. The hairs stay in the growing (anagen) stage for a shorter period of time so they will not grow as long.
In my previous post I mentioned other possible causes of slow growth. As I mentioned earlier, I do think it is most important to get a proper diagnosis as to what type of hair loss disorder you are dealing with. This is the only way to know how to effectively treat the problem. Essential oil scalp treatments can help stimulate new, faster growth by increasing nourishment and energy to the follicle and root of hair. Although this treatment can be helpful it is still important to determine and treat the underlying cause.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig