Hair Loss/telogen effulvium

QUESTION: Hi thank you for the reply, i havent noticed many of the little hairs shedding only when i am washing my hair with shampoo. i am worried about the slow regrowth and is regrowth incomplete in women?

also i have been taking biotin tablets which seem to be helping when should i notice the hair thicken up to normal?
Answer:   Once telogen effluvium is ended, depending on how severe the shedding was, it can take up to 18 months for hair to restore to its original volume. Telogen effluvium that lasted only three months and happened three years ago would not be causing your current condition. If the areas of thinning are mostly on the top of head it may be androgenetic alopecia. Androgenetic alopecia causes hair in certain areas to become thinner and thinner, providing less scalp coverage. The hairs stay in the growing (anagen) stage for a shorter period of time so they will not grow as long.
In my previous post I mentioned other possible causes of slow growth. As I mentioned earlier, I do think it is most important to get a proper diagnosis as to what type of hair loss disorder you are dealing with. This is the only way to know how to effectively treat the problem. Essential oil scalp treatments can help stimulate new, faster growth by increasing nourishment and energy to the follicle and root of hair. Although this treatment can be helpful it is still important to determine and treat the underlying cause.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss

>>Hi thank you for the reply, i have not got any androgenic alopecia as my hair thinned throughout my head and the their seems to be a lot of new growth at the top but less on the sides?
my main concern as to why is the growth is slow as i expected hair to grow one inch a month? also does slow growth damage follicles and will my hair still be able to grow back?

Thank you

Hair grows at a rate of approximately one half inch per month. Slow growth does not cause follicle damage. It s not unusual for hair to be thinner and grow slower on the sides/temple areas. If your hair is not growing normally you first need to find out what type of hair loss you are experiencing. Acute telogen effluvium, for a period of three months would not be causing the condition you describe today (three years after the short shedding episode.)  A professional examination of your hair an scalp using trichoscopic techniques will help to reveal what type of condition you are dealing with. Once that is determined, a proper treatment plan can be implemented.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.