Hair Loss/22 Year Old Female, Thinning Hair - Genetic

Top of head
Top of head  
Hello Dr. Vonzabuesing,

I really really hope you can help me. I'm a 22 year old female and I have thinning hair. As a child up until I was about 16 or 17 my hair was thick and rich. At the hair salon stylists would always comment on how much hair I had. My father and his mother have also always had thick hair. However, my mother has had thinning hair since her 20s, my older sister started losing her hair at about age 13. You can see their scalps through their hair and they have visible streaks of scalp on the top of their heads and on the sides.

At about 16 or 17 I started noticing that my hair was falling out more than it used to. I'd notice loads of hair in my brush. The only different thing I'd really done was start using a hair straightener. My hair's been falling since I was that age and only now, at 22, is my scalp finally starting to show through my hair - my hair was that thick - it took years for it to get to this point. My part is way too wide. I wash my hair every other day and always have. I very rarely use a hair straightener. I do use a blow dryer. I really don't know what to do - neither I or my mother or sister have ever gotten any professional help. My hair keeps falling and is very weak. I'd just like to know what I have and how to help it.

Thank you very much,

The most common type of hair loss that causes widening of part is female pattern hair loss, also known as androgenetic alopecia. This condition does not usually cause excessive shedding that continues for seven years as you describe. With female pattern hair loss the individual strands of hair in certain areas (top/bang/crown) gradually become thinner and thinner. The thinner hairs provide less scalp coverage. Although there may be some increase in shedding, female pattern hair loss does not cause the type of extensive shedding you describe.
The most common type of hair loss that causes excessive shedding is telogen effluvium. Telogen effluvium that lasts more than six months is known as "chronic telogen effluvium". Chronic telogen efflvuium indicates an internal imbalance that needs to be identified and addressed before hair growth cycle will be restored. It is possible to have both conditions at once. Sometimes female pattern hair loss becomes more noticeable after a bout of telogen effluvium.
You can learn more about the types and causes of female hair loss and about using essential oils and other natural remedies for healthy hair growth at the links provided below.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.