Hair Loss/biotin

Question
Does biotin cause hair loss in women? I haven't had any hair loss yet, but I started taking biotin supplements to help improve the quality and growth of my hair. However, I heard the other day that biotin is supposed to increase levels of testosterone in the body. If that's the case, would it actually end up making my hair fall out?

Answer
I do not believe Biotin can cause an increased testosterone and if you did take an excess it would most likely all go straight into your urine. I also do not think there is a need for the vast majority of people to take any Biotin supplements for any reason. It is abundant in most all our foods.
  I have never heard of a case of hair loss due to excess Biotin.

In my opinion Biotin is overrated as being needed to grow hair and nails. It is rare to find a true Biotin deficient patient. There is a very rare Inherited metabolic disorders Biotinidase deficiency which can cause a variety of problems.  A few cases found in the past to be due to Biotin deficiency were due to the patients having the habit of eating raw egg whites, which contain Avidin, a substance which binds up Biotin so it can not be absorbed.

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a study of two adult hospital patients who were unable to use their intestines to digest food. The patients were fed intravenously a diet that happened to be deficient in the B-complex vitamin biotin. Biotin deficiency is extremely rare because in addition to being present in many types of food, it is also manufactured by the friendly bacteria that live in normal intestines. Because these patients had inactive intestines, their intestinal bacteria did not produce adequate biotin, and they suffered hair loss as a result. When biotin was added to the intravenous diet, hair growth resumed.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>