Hair Loss/Will my hair grow back? 26 female

Question
QUESTION: Hello!
I was diagnosed with two bouts of Telogen Effluvium due to cessation of two birth control pills. the shedding lasted until November of 2012 and then tapered off. Now I am shedding minimally (normal shedding). I see some regrowth, some half an inch, some shorter, some a little longer, and some peach fuzz, but not all of the hair I lost yet.

What is the time frame that my hair should look normal again? After having two TE's, my hair has become much thinner. It has been a depressing thing to go through at age 26.

There is no hair loss in my family at all, my OBGYN assured me it would grow back in time, but will I continue to see small hairs pop up in the next few months?

Thank you for your help!

ANSWER: Birth control is a common cause of hair loss in women. Starting, stopping or changing type of birth control pill can cause hair loss in some women. The article linked below will explain the ways in which birth control can contribute to hair loss. Understanding this can help minimize the effects. Correcting any possible side effects that can occur from being on the pill--such as nutritional deficiencies, excess inflammation, etc may help improve quality of new growth.
Once a bout with telogen effluvium is ended it can take six months or longer for a noticeable increase in volume. Each follicle has it's own independent growth cycle, so yes, you will continually see new growth popping up. Because hair only grows at a rate of one half inch per  month, it can take many months for the new growth to actually add to volume of existing hair. Essential oils can help stimulate new, faster hair growth and improve quality of existing hair. Essential oils, when used topically on scalp, can increase energy and nourishment directly to the follicles and roots of hair. You can learn more about using essential oils as a natural hair loss remedy at the links provided below.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Birth Control and Hair Loss
http://ezinearticles.com/?Does-Birth-Control-Cause-Hair-Loss?&id=7185487
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/aromatherapy%20for%20hair%20loss.html
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/Books%20info.html
Understanding Female Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/overcomefemalehairloss.html

QUESTION: Thank you, you've been very helpful ! I imagine because this happened twice to me in a year it will be a while before my hair returns to normal. All my blood and hormone levels are normal as well as ferritin.

Do women get the majority if their hair back when telogen effluvium resolves ?

Thanks again !

Answer
With acute telogen effluvium, hair growth usually restores back to normal. With chronic telogen efflvuium hair growth can restore back to normal as long as the underlying issues are resolved and the body maintains excellent physical and emotional health. This is very important as person with this condition may be more susceptible to future episodes. Keeping healthy, and avoiding triggers will help prevent this from happening.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig