Hair Loss/Hair loss

My 21 year old daughter stopped taking birth control pills (ortho tri-cyclen) and ever since her hair has been thinning. What will help this? If she starts back taking her bcp will her hair grow back?

Starting, stopping or changing birth control pills can cause hair loss in some people. Hormonal changes that occur due to birth control can trigger androgenetic alopecia in those who are genetically predisposed to the condition. With androgenetic alopecia the individual hairs in certain areas (mostly top/center of head and bang area) will become thinner and thinner. The thinner hairs provide less scalp coverage. This is a slow and gradual process.
Birth control can also trigger telogen effluvium. The main characteristic of telogen effluvium is excessive shedding. With telogen effluvium the shedding occurs fairly evenly throughout the scalp. Telogen effluvium occurs when the body has a difficult time adjusting to a change, disturbance or imbalance. The changes that occur due to stopping the pill can cause this condition. If the body adjusts and re-balances itself quickly, the hair growth cycle will restore itself, and excessive shedding will taper off within six months. If the hair loss starts to taper off within six months she will know that the body is adjusting.
There is no way to know in advance whether re-starting the pill will solve the hair loss. The hormonal system is an intricate and delicate system. Some people use birth control to stop hair loss, for others birth control can cause hair loss.
I am including a link to an article that explains the connection between birth control and hair loss. The information can help persons minimize the effects.
Essential oil scalp treatments can help stimulate new hair growth and improve the quality of existing hair. You can learn more at the links provided below.
If the hair loss began several months after stopping the pill, stopping the pill would be a probable cause. There are many other possible causes. It is important to determine if there are any other contributing factors.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Birth Control and Hair Loss
Understanding Female Hair Loss
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies  

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.