Hair Loss/Hairloss/Texture change

Hello. I am a 34 year old female that has been experiencing hair loss for over 5 years now starting mainly after the birth of my son and daughter. I have always had somewhat thin hair, and I also have a family history of female pattern hairloss, and I am also hypothyroid. About a year ago I experienced more than usual/normal hair loss and some itching/soreness/burning and bumps on my scalp all over.  I saw several dermatologists one of which did allergy testing which came back negative for most at home allergens, and he did a scalp biopsy that revealed that I had findings of androgenic alopecia and an increased number of catagen/telogen hairs were identified. None of the dermatologists explained what the itching and other symptoms were about, but since then those symptoms have gotten somewhat better. During this same time I noticed that the frontal part of my hairline or bang area was very sore, had gotten very thin, I noticed some burning sensations,and eventually I noticed that part of my bangs had become very different with crooked/bent/wiry/dry hairs. All of my hair is very dry and frizzy due to its curly nature, and my hair overall also seemed to become more dry and knotty during this time, but nothing like the hair in the front.  I do blowdry and wash my hair almost every day, but the hair at the front of my forehead/bangs seems to be the most thin and is ALWAYS broken, and now I have a section of these strange dry, frizzy, bent hairs almost a year later after my symptoms started. I was told from a dermatologist that it could be heat damage, but it has been this way for over a year now, and I was thinking that if it were heat damage that it would have grown back by now, correct? My main question is do you think my hairloss last year was due to TE, AA or both because my scalp biopsy showed both and a pull test also showed that I had TE?  I am wondering if the TE is due to my being hypothyroid, and if so shouldn't it be regulated by my medicine? Can ups and downs in my thryoid levels cause such hairloss and TE because I did not experience any major stress other than the constant stress and worry of my hairloss, so I am wondering why I showed TE hairloss?  Also, what do you think is going on with the front of my hair/bang area? Maybe my thyroid is causing this area to be thinner and dryer which in turn makes the hair in this area break easeier???? The one section of my bangs is extremely dry/wiry/crooked hairs and very thin in this area. It still seems itchy occassionally, and I do notice every now and then a small little bump/pimple/bubble in this area.  Do you think this is heat damage or can hair from TE or AA grow like this, and is there anything I can do at all to regrow normal hairs in this area or is it permanent damage from something in your opinion?  I am sorry for the long e-mail. This is all very frustrating, and I can't seem to get any answers from anyone. Thank you very much for your time, and any advice would be appreciated.

Anytime a scalp disorder accompanies hair loss, the first step is to identify and treat the scalp disorder--as a healthy scalp is the foundation for healthy growing hair. When seeing a dermatologist it is very important to find someone who is extremely knowledgeable and experienced with hair loss and scalp disorders. Many different conditions can cause bumps, pimples, pustules, etc. Each condition would be treated differently, so proper diagnosis is necessary.
Scalp folliculitis can be caused by bacterial or fungal infection. If left untreated it can go deep into the follicles and cause permanent hair loss.
Thyroid disorders can cause hair loss, breakage and texture changes. Thyroid medications can also cause hair loss. Medications can cause nutritional imbalances that can lead to hair loss. It is important to check a nutrient depletion chart to see if the medication you are on may be causing a deficiency. For example, synthroid may compromise calcium. Calcium imbalance can lead to hair loss.
You mention "ups and downs" of your thyroid. If this is Hashimoto's thyroiditis, it would be important to treat the immune system accordingly. Doctors don't always test Hashimoto's but it is very important to know as the condition can be treated much more effectively if it is treated as autoimmune rather than straight thyroid problem.
Heat from a blow dryer, curling iron, etc. would not cause your condition. Harsh chemicals or contact allergens (such as from hair dyes, etc) could cause bumps, pimples, etc. along with hair loss.
Sometimes the texture of hair changes with female pattern hair loss. The hair texture changes are in the same area of female pattern baldness (motly top of head.)
Hair loss, breakage and texture changes can be associated with other medical conditions.
Any change, disturbance or imbalance can cause telogen effluvium. Often there is more than one factor involved. It is important to consider every single symptom you may be having to help determine the underlying cause(s).
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies  

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.