Hair Loss/teen hair loss for weeks/almost bald

I am very distressed to see my 15 year old daughter losing her hair.  It seems to come from all over her head, no "patches", just extreme thinning.  this has been going on for 3-4 weeks and is very upsetting to her. We do feel the "bulb" on some of the hairs. Have been to dermo and had blood work done.  Dermo sees no known cause.  Blood work fine (no thyroid issues, etc.). Please help, she will soon be bald.

The most common type of hair loss that causes excessive shedding from the roots is telogen effluvium. With this condition the hair falls fairly evenly throughout the scalp rather than in localized areas. Telogen effluvium can be acute or chronic. Acute telogen effluvium is a response to a "sudden" trigger such as medication, birth control, exposure to allergen or toxin, infection, recent illness, vaccination, medical procedure, trauma, etc. With acute telogen effluvium the hair growth cycle will return to normal within six months as long as the body heals from or "adjusts to" the changes caused by the trigger. Shedding usually begins 2-3 months after trigger. Thinking back to the months prior to shedding may help provide clues.
If shedding lasts more than six months the condition is known chronic telogen effluvium. Chronic telogen effluvium indicates that the body is experiencing an internal imbalance that needs to be identified and addressed. Even a minor imbalance could cause this condition. Common causes include nutritional deficiency, chronic systemic inflammation, thyroid imbalance, autoimmune issues, malabsorption issues, hormonal imbalances, extreme, prolonged, unresolved stress, etc.  
When trying to determine the cause of telogen effluvium it is important to consider every single symptom she may be having--as any symptom can provide clues. There is often more than one contributing factor involved. The condition of one's hair is an overall reflection of total health and well-being.
Telogen effluvium does not cause baldness as the hair is always replaced. Telogen effluvium can cause a noticeable decrease in volume if the new growth does not have a chance to catch up with the rate of shedding.
There are also forms of alopecia areata that can mimic telogen effluvium--alopecia areata incognita (or diffuse alopecia areata.) These conditions are less common than telogen effluvium,
Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disorder. With alopecia areata follicles can remain empty but they are not damaged so there is always potential for regrowth.
Essential oil scalp massage treatments can stimulate new hair growth and improve quality of existing hair. Although essential oils can help produce healthier hair growth, it is still important to determine and treat the underlying cause. You can learn more about the types and causes of female hair loss and about using essential oils as a hair growth stimulator at the links provided below.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies
Understanding Female Hair Loss  

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.