Hair Loss/female 40 with aga

I am female and 40 with aga. My mother has it as well and she is very thin on top. I started to thin on top at 17. It is now very thin on top. Classic up front male pattern baldness. The rest of my hair on the sides and back are normal.

I have just come back from a dermatologist that recommended I start spiro with yasmin and add rogaine. She then said I may want to consider a hair transplant later on.

I guess my question is should I try the medication route first or would medication even help at this point?

Just curious as to what you think my course of action should be. I am trying to be realistic as to how far the medication would get me. Thanks for all you do on this site your expertise are really appreciated.

ANSWER: --Even if you go the transplant route you should stay on these medications to block progression of the AGA.
--Your doctor's approach is exactly what I would have recommended with the same medications.
--I've seen a few women on the medical treatment get dramatic regrowth of lost hair especially if it was recently lost.
--Most of my patients with the degree of loss that you describe do both the medical and surgical approach.

It will only take 6 to 9 months to see whether you are going to get dramatic regrowth and not need surgery but if her advise is that you may want to consider surgery and you describe a MPB pattern with frontal loss my guess is that you should also start looking for a good hair transplant surgeon to give you advice as well. You will need about a week downtime to recover from the surgery and my guess is that you will need 1500 grafts from the brief description. Hats and scarves can be worn while the hair grows in and it will take nearly 8 months before you will be able to comb the new hair back. If you are looking for a good hair transplant surgeon I would consider the ones recommended at this site-

Thanks for your honest and quick responce. I have just started this medication regimen so I guess it's a wait and see game. I want to wait and see if I get any results before adding on the rogaine. Do you think that's prudent?

I will take your advice and consult with a transplant surgeon in the meantime. Thanks for the link to the site.

I see a lot of women are not good candidates for hair transplants. But if I had a transplant and was taking medication to progress things further would that up my odds of a successful transplant surgery taking?

Thank you again for your time.

ANSWER: I would advise starting Rogaine now to help get your hair back sooner. It is a small investment in time and money and not only will stimulate recently lost hairs to grow back sooner but will make your hairs stronger in the event you have surgery.

QUESTION: Thanks Dr,

I have now started Rogaine as well. A couple of other questions I had. I notice a lot of people with hair loss use Nizoral shampoo to apparently help block dht on the scalp, yet when I asked my derm she said there was no benefit to this.

Will it matter or not if I don't use Nizoral? I just want to make sure I am doing all I can.

Also I see that yasmin is a high estrogen bcp. and I am already 40. Realistically how long can I stay on this? I don't want to be on this pill for a few years then told to come off and lose all my hair.

Thanks for your time and your patience.

Both Nizoral Shampoo and Zinc Pyrithione Shampoos have been found to interfere with production of DHT within the skin. This is a small additional way to help protect the hairs from the DHT. If you can find one that you don't mind using then it should help in the long run. Yaz and Yasmin both have been found to be excellent in blocking progression of AGA. The estrogen portion is equivalent to many other bcp's but the difference is in the progestin portion of the pills. They have drospirenone which has no androgen effect and that is their main benefit. Some women continue to take Yaz as HRT as they go through menopause. This is something you should discuss with your GYN doctor.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery.

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery. More information can be found at my website