Hair Loss/LOw DHT level

Question
QUESTION: sir this is rohith(22 years male)...dermatologist said  im suffering from androgenic alopecia he recomended DHT,testosterone,androsteindione,thyroid profile all of thm went normal except DHT the values are
testosterone(total)- 454.27 ng/dL
5--DHT- 34.2 pg/mL
androstenedione(A4)- 2.11
thyroid went normal...
doctor wants to strt treament before he strt he suggest to take opinion on low DHT wheater to give antiandrogens r not... sir i would like to knw my DHT levels r really less what happens if it is less
thanking u sir

ANSWER: I'm sorry but I do not understand the problem. Your Testosterone and DHT seem to be in normal range. The laboratory I use has the normal DHT range as 17-66.   DHT is the hormone responsible for Male Pattern Baldness. A low DHT is what you want to prevent Androgenetic Alopecia.  The treatment for AGA is to take Finasteride which will increase your Testosterone by 10 to 15% and lower your DHT by 66 to 70 %.  I have some of my patients taking Dutasteride to lower their DHT by 90% to stop balding even better than Finasteride can. If you can get your DHT down to 5 to 8 you will have it low enough to prevent AGA from progressing or at least slow it down as much as possible.

QUESTION: than q for ur rply sir.

sir,according to the lab report.   5DHT is 34.2 pg/ml n reference range is 50 to 170 .so when i shown this report to my dermatologist he said every thng is normal but 5DHT is lower than normal range so he asked me to take the opinion of pathologist whether to start Antiandrogens, if DHT is lower. so i kindly want to take ur opinion whether to start antiandrogens in this case r any other treatment thanking u sir

ANSWER: I checked the range for males your age and measured in pg/ml it normally is 50-170.
If you are experiencing AGA with an already low DHT that is very rare. I suggest you repeat the DHT test to see if there was an error made in testing. If the test confirms you have a low DHT there is a good chance you have inherited extensive baldness with bald genes from both sides of your family so that even with a DHT level of 34 you are getting AGA. If so then it would seem you need to lower your DHT even more with Finasteride.

QUESTION: thanq so much sir,plz sir can i ask one more questn,sir i have seen that no one has baldness frm my maternal side all the three bro of my mom my grandpa has not suffered wid baldness.yes there is a history of baldness frm paternal side. n sir i havebeen suffering wid dandruff too since 4 yrs white plaques of drandruff found to stick to my scalp n on scrapping it comes out as plaques.n i sweats more on my scalp sir plz tell me how can i get rid of dis dandruff i used many medications but no use?

Answer
Dandruff is the common name for Seborrheic Dermatitis which is frequently treated by a number of shampoos which have an anti-yeast medication in them--  ketoconizole or selenium sulfide or zinc pyrithione. Sometimes when the shampoos by themselves do not work a dermatologist might prescribe oral ketoconizole 200mg daily for two weeks and then 400mg once a week for a few months depending on how severe the condition is. Stress seems to make Seborrheic Dermatitis worse, perhaps by changing the oil produced in the oil glands making it easier for the yeast to grow.  http://cms.qhc.com/pdf/CT/080040359.pdf
 Your mother's mother may have passed on some balding genes to her and she to you. Sometimes it is not easy to see where the bald genes come from.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>