Hair Loss/Sudden rapid hair loss/shedding 43yrs

About 4-5 weeks ago I noticed my normal shedding of my long hair was tripling.  I'd normally vacuum the bathroom floor every 4-5 days and now that amt is showing up in one day. Plus I'm findng hair all over, in bed, in kitchen, and when I wash my hair or run my hand through it a massive amount is coming out.  I've checked it looks like all are coming out with the root attached so its not breaking.  About 5 months prior I got a severe bout of IBS and Colitis causing me to quit my job lose my income etc.  i also lost about 10lbs in a couple months from being so sick and ended up on sleeping pills and PPIs for 3-4 months.    I went to stay with family for 7 weeks and began eating more healthy taking more herbs and tried to destress.  While there i felt my hair was thicker longer .

I came home a month ago got on burberine, probiotics on top of other herbs and then boom started really losing lots of hair fast.  I got off sleeping pills 5 weeks ago so have only been taking PPIs with my herbs.

I just had a hysterectomy 10 days ago but kept my ovaries prior to this my hormones were normal.

I've read PPIs can cause this so am trying to get off mine but i read you have to back off slowly.  

1-  will quitting PPIs allow me to regrow my hair?
2- do I need to take biotin magnesium calcium etc supplements?
3- will using rogaine or any hair stuff be an option?
4- what blood tests should I get to help diagnose the issue??

I've no idea what is the exact cause to try to rectify and I'm scared if this is permanent!!  I need to find a way to stop the shedding and get my hairs to regrow.  I'm very upset by this and don't want my stress about hair loss to make it worse.

Thank you in advance for any advice!!!

Hair loss is a common symptom of IBS and colitis. The severe bout you had five months prior to the shedding could have triggered a hair loss condition known as telogen effluvium. Anytime the body has a difficult time coping with a change, disturbance or imbalance telogen effluvium can occur. When this happens, more hair than usual will retreat to the resting (telogen) stage. Once a hair enters the telogen stage it will fall out approximately three months later. There are many possible causes of telogen effluvium, including medications. Often there is more than one contributing factor.
The hair growth cycle thrives on balance. Your body has been through a lot in the last six months. The hysterectomy adds yet another "shock" to the system. Medical procedures, surgeries and anesthesia can also trigger telogen effluvium.
The best thing to do is to allow your body time to heal and recover, taking excellent care of your physical and emotional health. Any imbalance can be an obstacle to healthy hair growth. The body will not direct much of it's healing energy to hair growth when more serious issues exist.
Quitting PPI's will only help regrow hair if PPI's were the one and only cause of your hair loss. Sometimes it is hard to know if it is the medication or the underlying issue that is causing the hair loss. It can be a combination of both.
Long term PPI use can deplete magnesium and other nutrients. You can look up the particular drugs that you are using on a nutrient depletion chart to see which nutrients may be compromised by the particular medication.
I personally would not use synthetic topical medications such as minoxidil for telogen effluvium. This medication is known to cause an initial shed when starting and another shed when discontinuing. With telogen effluvium the lost hairs do get replaced even while the condition is active. The decrease in volume occurs when the condition is severe or long-lasting. This is because the new growth does not have a chance to catch up with the rate of fallen hairs. Once the shedding returns to normal, increased volume will follow. I have included links to several articles that may help you to understand chronic telogen effluvium and other forms of female hair loss.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Chronic Telogen Effluvium
Understanding Female Hair Loss
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
Create Your Own Natural Hair Loss Remedies  

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.