Hair Loss/Thighs hair loss . . .

Question
Hello, Sir!
I have recently noticed that I lost hair in my inner thighs and in the skin of the The triceps surae ... Sometimes the skin in these areas irritates me ... It is like I have recently shaved it. The patches are identical in both legs.... I am healthy ... 24 ... single ... on no medication ....
I really want to know what's the problem.
Thank you.

Answer
Hair loss which develops as spots of loss is frequently Alopecia Areata.   At this website you can read about the condition and look at the photos to see if this is the type of loss you have. If it is then you should see a dermatologist. This is an auto-immune disorder where your body is attacking its own hairs. The treatment may include a variety of topical medications or you may have  to have these spots treated with a cortisone cream or perhaps injections of cortisone to block the immune reaction.

The loss of hair can be due to other skin conditions and a dermatologist needs to see the areas to make the diagnosis. One possibility is that you have Keratosis Pilaris which is common in the sites you say you have the hair loss. Sometimes the hairs break off in this condition.
More photos of that can be viewed here-- This is a common condition which has no affect on your general health and the treatment is usually the same as used for treating acne .
http://www.dermnetnz.org/acne/keratosis-pilaris.html

The conditions are quite different in causality and therefore the treatments would be quite different which is why a dermatologist needs to see the areas first before the right treatment can be started.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>