Hair Loss/hair loss

Question
QUESTION: hi, i'm 34 experiencing hair loss from a year. iv'e mild mpb but my problem is mild SD. my scalp builds olis and dead skin cells for which iv'e to shampoo daily. my dr prescribed me nizoral,  Fluocinolone Acetonide shampoo and beclomethasone dp ointment to relieve inflammation. but situation remains as it is. only itch is relieved. please tell me if this shampoo is ok or it will cause further hair loss. does scalp eczema causes hair loss.

ANSWER: Most all cases of Seborrheic Dermatitis are due to a yeast which responds well to ketoconizole (Nizoral) as a shampoo, cream or pills. The use of cortisone to suppress the inflammation helps control the symptoms but not the cause. I would ask your dermatologist if it is okay for you to use a  a ketoconizole cream at night and shampoo it out in the morning with ketoconizole shampoo and take 200 mg ketoconizole pills in the morning for two weeks. This is the treatment I prescribe for stubborn SD.

QUESTION: sir does scalp eczema causes hair loss as i'm experiencing. thankyou

Answer
It is rare for scalp eczema to cause hair loss. What is a common occurrence is to see Seborrheic Dermatitis and hair loss after something stresses the individual. This can be lack of sleep , too many bills to pay or any other worries that can lead to stress.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>