Hair Loss/Hair loss

Question
Hello!
I have two questions for You, and Id greatly appreciate your answer. I've already asked a question this website, and your coleagues gave me very good answers, so I have full confidence in you. :)

My first question is about rogaine. Does it work? Is it potentially harmfull?

My second question is more personal. I have used SSRI's for sometime now, maybe a year. Is it possible that it caused weakening and loosing of my hair? Also, is it possible that it just trigerred some gene, that is connected with baldness? Nobody in my family is bald except my moms dad. Also, is there a rule saying from whom does a child inherit hair, mom's side of family or dads? Alsoo, if my hair loss is due to SSRI, will i regain it when i stop use it?

It turned out to be more than 2 questions, I hope I dont overwhelm you. :) Thanks in advance, and sorry for my english, its not my native language.

Answer
 Rogaine is not harmful for most people. It works to make hairs thicker in diameter and to grow longer than they normally would. It keep hairs in their Anagen Phase (growth phase) for a longer time. On average people notice a 25% thickening of their hair. Some people do not notice any increase density. Rogaine does not stop the hairs from getting the message from your DHT hormone to grow old so the hairs will age even while being stimulated to grow. Some people may have a great response to Rogaine for years and then may have to stop due to developing an allergy to it. When they stop the hairs that stayed alive by the artificial simulation will fall out. It can be distressing to see the hair loss which normally would have been gradual for perhaps 5 years suddenly take place in a three months.
  In about 5% of people taking SSRIs there is substantial hair loss as a side effect. Rogaine may help minimize this side effect. This is not a triggering of a gene but a known side effect of all SSRIs. If the loss is of short duration of only a few years then there is a good chance the hairs would grow back. You may want to ask your doctor if Wellbutrin (bupropion) would work for you as it does not seem to have the same side effect.
  Balding genes are inherited from both sides of the family. There are at least three chromosomes with perhaps 6 genes involved so it is not always easy to say where the balding gene came from. Both parents may carry  a few genes for balding and if you are unlucky enough to get them from both parents then you can be the only one who shows balding in the family.  

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>