Hair Loss/Sudden hair loss and breakage

Question
Hi Melanie,

I'm 28 and started to notice changes in my hair around November of this year. My once thick, shiny, healthy hair is now thin, brittle and breaking. I first noticed my hair become filled with static and very fly away. Looking back, I think I was shedding more than usual but didn't really notice as my hair was always full. Around the beginning of January my hair loss and thinning really started to scare me. It seemed to travel, began in the back around the nape of my neck where i could see gaps in my hair. It then seemed to become more concentrated around the front top, my front hairline and temples. This is absolutely not my normal hairline and I no longer wear my hair up because of it. Over the course of the past few months it's now completely broken all over my head with tons of mid shaft splits. I should also mention that I lost around 20 lbs before this began. The first 10 lbs was intentional through exercise while the last 10 lbs has been unintentional. I'm already a small person so it's concerning. I had also stared taking birth control in October and was switched to a different pill in January. I've done a lot of research and realize that weight loss and contraceptive use can both trigger telogen effluvium. I've since discontinued the bcp and may go back on as my Doctor does not think it's the cause. I guess I'm concerned that I have AGA because I have scalp burning near my hairline and my hair never came out in clumps.I have no family history of hair loss at all. The texture has completely change and i notice the roots look to be a light reddish color. I've seen multiple doctors and don't have a thyroid condition, celiac disease,or anemia. My B12 was in the low range of normal and has come up with sublingual supplements. I've done a lot of things to to try and better this situation with no success. I've eliminated aspartame, take vitamins daily, and eat much more protein. Is there anything I can do to bring back my hair? This is up there with one of the worst experiences of my life. I look at pictures of my old hair and cry.Not knowing when or if things will improve has been extremely difficult to deal with. Any advice or insight is much appreciated.

Answer
Birth control is a common cause of hair loss. The article linked below reveals the many different ways that birth control can cause or contribute to hair loss. One of the main reasons birth control causes hair loss is due to the nutritional imbalances they they create.  Drug-induced hair loss usually begins one to three months after starting medication. Due to the timeline of your hair changes, the birth control medication can be considered a possible cause, or contributing factor.
Nutritional deficiencies such as essential fatty acids, iron and manganese can cause hair to turn lighter in color. Manganese deficiency can be associated with reddening of hair. Nutritional deficiencies can also lead to poor texture.
The most common cause of severe breakage as you describe is due to over-processing with harsh chemicals and heat. Fungal or bacterial infection of the scalp, follicles or hair can also cause breakage. If you run your finger down the length of your hair shaft and feel a tiny little knot, you may have a type of fungal infection called piedra. The hair will break off at the point of the knot.
Hormonal imbalances, medications, autoimmune disorders or other illnesses can cause breakage.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
It is important to consider every symptom you may be having, including the unexplained weight loss. Hair loss is never an isolated condition. The condition of one's hair is intimately connected to overall health and well-being.
Essential oil scalp treatments can help stimulate new hair growth and improve the quality of existing hair. Although essential oils can be used as a natural hair loss treatment , it is still important to determine and address the underlying issue(s). Please let me know if I can help you further.  
I am including links to articles that may help you.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Birth Control and Hair Loss
http://ezinearticles.com/?Does-Birth-Control-Cause-Hair-Loss?&id=7185487
Hair Loss Around Hairline
http://ezinearticles.com/?Female-Hair-Loss-On-Sides,-Temples,-And-Around-Edges&i
Essential Oils for Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/aromatherapy%20for%20hair%20loss.html
Understanding Female Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/overcomefemalehairloss.html

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig