Hair Loss/hair loss

Question
Hi sir.I had a thick hair one year back and at the same time i had very very thick greasy dandruff which was attached into my scalp.I tried to remove the dandruff by hand and the some amount of hair would come along with the dandruff.So i shaved my head when hair was still thick to completely remove the dandruff.After shaving hair growth is poor and thin ,patchy in place where dandruff was there.Will my lost hair come back?Is hair follicles damaged?

Answer
Dear
       you are possibly suffering from Seborrheic Dermatitis (one form of eczema).You have very very thick greasy dandruff which was attached into your scalp which is one of the features of eczema.When you tried to remove the dandruff by hand some amount of hair come along with the dandruff.If it is itchy, it is eczema. If it is non itchy it is psoriasis.Psoriasis usually present with dry,silvery white colored dandruff. If your scalp is red then it might be psoriasis.In psoriasis hair loss are minimal. But if you have dandruff with itching & wet, oozy scalp then it is eczema.
      So, first of all you should consult with a Trichologist(Skin specialist deal with hair diseases)& diagnose your disease.And treat accordingly.  

Shaved of head is not a solution of any kind of hair loss.

You can you Tar or Ketoconazole shampoo empirically, which helps you a lot.

Hair Loss

Dr S M Bakhtiar Kamal, MBBS, DDV, MD