Hair Loss/FOLLOW -UP : Severe hair shedding after rebonding

Question
FOLLOW - UP :

Thank you very much for the prompt reply doctor.

I have diffuse hair loss over the scalp and not sure from where it is falling more. But the strands which fall are long and have a white sheath at the end. I recently started using 2% minoxidil twice daily. Is this concentration not enough ? Couldn't I apply it once daily rather than twice daily (its sort of inconvenient to apply in the morning)? Please tell me if there are any side effects if I apply coconut oil when on minoxidil.

I forgot to add in my question that once I had the hair straightening done last july I had moderate hairfall which I didn't worry much about. In dec last year I met with a minor two-wheeler accident and hit my head and had a bump and a gashon the right side of the scalp near the center. CT scan was normal and I didn't have any other injuries so I quite forgot about it though my head used to hurt if I did touch there. In january I noticed that my hair fall had accelerated to an alarming level and the hair fall still persists. Is there any connection to the accident and the hair fall ?

I have never done any other treatment on my hair except for keratin spa's after the hair straightening. I have noticed that    I have almost nil hair fall when I do keratin spa until I wash my hair next. Not sure why is that. Hoping you'd be willing to explain.

Thank you.

Answer
As I suggested 5% minoxidil used once a day is the most effective method of applying minoxidil for you. It seems strange that that would be more inconvenient than applying the 2% twice a day.
The accidents you had could easily have caused you to have a TE- as shed due to stress- which would lead to even thinner hair. That type of shed usually lasts for a few weeks and stops. Your hair may seem thinner but the hairs are changing their cycles and will eventually begin to grow out but at 1/2 inch per month it will take a while to see hair that you can comb. Most of that hair will grow back as well after six months.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>